Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
There are many myths and unknowns in reefing.

For example, all science tells you that ICK will be rid of when you do hypo for 2 weeks correctly and keep the display tank 6 weeks fallow. However, I can assure you, there are people who said they did exactly what was told and monitor it extremely carefully but only to find ICK months or years after nothing has been added except water.

I am going to give one real experience how "live has its way"
I have a breeding tank(or honey moon tank) for a pair of my clownfish. Well since it's a honeymoon suite, there are no other big inhabitants like fish or shrimps. It has a bubble filter, an in tank filter. It has been running for about 2 years without changes except last month, I added a NEW clean tile from the yard. For all these 2 years, I have never noticed any upside down jelly fish there nor did I purchase any last 5 years. Today I found a group of them hanging out!!! I have not added any corals, shrimps, rocks for about 2 years and suddenly there they are showing off their army without me, and other peers who have seen the tank, noticing their existence for 2 years in a nano tank with almost nothing in it to hide.

I decided to put this in the advanced forum because I think this topic is actually very advanced that baffled most of our common sense or experience and deserve some advanced marine scientists to really find out the facts.

Tell us your reef UFO stories!

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I agree there are quite a few myths, but have to add there is also a large amount of incorrect facts as well.

I need to add my 2 cents on what you posted regarding Ich - even though you were only using it as an example - as some will read what you wrote and expect that it is fact.
Hypo treatments need to be used for 4-6 weeks to effectively kill the Ich parasite in the fish. As far as the fallow period for the tank..it is strongly suggested that to get to the 99.7% assurance level of ridding ich from your DT, the fallow period needs to be 9 full weeks.
That info comes from here:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2041951

After spending so much time here and reading so many posts about ich AND seeing how many corals people have added to their tanks, I have a hard time believing that any reefer has not added a single new item to their tank over any extensive period of time..lol I think the issue there is people do not take into consideration that corals can carry ich from one tank to another unfortunately.

Regarding your honeymoon tank..is there ANY chance of the following...
-->those might be hydroids and not upside down jellyfish?
--> they could have been moved from another tank to this one on wet hands?
..they certainly can't have dropped out of the air..or could they?

Last edited:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Regarding ich treatments i have got ich in my tank after adding different fish that i just added into the DT without QTing and with all due respect to the reefers that believe you cant rid ich from a tank without removing all the fish my tank gets ich free with help from my cleaner wrasse and my cleaner shrimp. I havent lost a fish to ich in I cant tell you how long. When i received my yellow tang from a LFS he looked fine the first couple hours. The next day it was COVERED in ich and my cleaner wrasse was relentless in its pursuit to clean him. Within 2 days no sign of ich that was 8 maybe 9 months ago. Didnt lose 1 fish. People take some diseases and parasites to the next level by tearing apart there system to catch the fish which causes alot more stress to a fish and most likely the death. I am a firm believer in letting the fish fight and using natural ways to do this in most cases. I see posts telling people to get the fish out its the only way and i just shake my head because i cant write the way i do it without being crusified :)

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
So far I have to LOL
because Kathyc said "... they certainly can't have dropped out of the air..or could they?"
and Duke62 said "... i just shake my head because i cant write the way i do it without being crusified "

As for the ID of the UFO, it looks 99% like the attached pics and pumping towards the tentacles with a skirt and more rounded head. Tell me that's not an upside down jellyfish:lol2:

Attachments

• jellfishupsidedown_68165.jpg
    jellfishupsidedown_68165.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 210

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Regarding ich treatments i have got ich in my tank after adding different fish that i just added into the DT without QTing and with all due respect to the reefers that believe you cant rid ich from a tank without removing all the fish my tank gets ich free with help from my cleaner wrasse and my cleaner shrimp. I havent lost a fish to ich in I cant tell you how long. When i received my yellow tang from a LFS he looked fine the first couple hours. The next day it was COVERED in ich and my cleaner wrasse was relentless in its pursuit to clean him. Within 2 days no sign of ich that was 8 maybe 9 months ago. Didnt lose 1 fish. People take some diseases and parasites to the next level by tearing apart there system to catch the fish which causes alot more stress to a fish and most likely the death. I am a firm believer in letting the fish fight and using natural ways to do this in most cases. I see posts telling people to get the fish out its the only way and i just shake my head because i cant write the way i do it without being crusified :)

See that worked for you Duke but did not for me. It's crazy how this hobby has it's curve balls. ich is a very bad thing to have and I wish just a cleaner shrimp and wrasse would save me because ich cost me thousands of $$. I had the issue of a big tank maybe so harder for wrasse and shrimp to save sick fish or the fish stressed from the wrasse and get it more or hide till dies. Like Kathy said buying coral is the first thing I think ich starts in DT. I have some fat fish who always show sign of ich to this day but so healthy they keep it in check. Does coral Rx or any dip medicine kill ich????
Back to topic from Aqua Builder.... I had coral grow in my QT when I know I never added anything but dead sand and rock but the myth is it was a ZOA that grew. I strong believer in myth....:smokin::smokin::smokin:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
So far I have to LOL
because Kathyc said "... they certainly can't have dropped out of the air..or could they?"
and Duke62 said "... i just shake my head because I cant write the way I do it without being crusified "

As for the ID of the UFO, it looks 99% like the attached pics and pumping towards the tentacles with a skirt and more rounded head. Tell me that's not an upside down jellyfish:lol2:

Upon first glance, I saw a white upside down beer bottle cap with tiny pieces of sps glued in it....then again I am exhausted at the moment. :sleeping:

Ok, I agree, that would not be a hyroid.

Then again..whatever it is - it HAD to come from somewhere!

Last edited:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
I have to say it does work for me. Now as for QTing SPS and other corals i believe NOW in QTing all of them before introduction. I know its not a full QT but i use my frag tank but its attached to my system but its better then just introducing the coral right to the DT. I have my drain to my frag tank going into a filter sock and when i buy a new coral that sock gets changed everyday. Started doing that since i added the frag tank

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Upon first glance, I saw a white upside down beer bottle cap with tiny pieces of sps glued in it....then again I am exhausted at the moment. :sleeping:

Ok, I agree, that would not be a hyroid.

Then again..it HAD to come from somewhere!

Yup it has to come from somewhere! But where and when?

I heard it's a flying saucer so it might really fall from the air. J/K

The most likely culprit is wet hands or net. If so, I should see them in the other tanks too-how about just one? The honeymoon tank is no where near my reef tanks, it's kept in my workshop where I have constant influx of tank-bred fish but only to other tanks. As for corals in the workshop, I either give them away or simply died, so I have not have any influx of corals. Over the years, I have rescued a system from some friend, so I can only point my finger to the stuff in that tank. There was no direct transfer of anything from it to the honeymoon tank. To claim the jellyfish come from there is also quite remote because it has to first travel with my hand or net to a a semi QT where I possibly could have cleaned the glass with my hand and a single cell of the jellyfish still attached to my hands after I wiped clean my hands with cloth. It has to survived for another say 10-15 minutes dry before it has a chance to getting back to water in the honeymoon tank.

"life has its way!"

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
BTW, I need to add another story. One of my 12" RBTA baby decided to walk out of the colony, so I took it into my bio cube 29G. It got shredded into a gob of goo. The only water movement pump stuck. Since it's not a power outage, so my emergency air pump did not kick in for, say, 20 hours. I have quite a bit of fish there and NOT a single one show any stress at all. Did I hear many people say when an anemone die, it's going create havoc? Look this is a 12" RBTA blended in 29G of water for 20 hours with no water movement!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: