Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Another thread on here got me thinking we should start a "share a hare" program. LOL

As every long time reefer knows, every once in a while a patch of hair algae or cyanobacteria bloom affects even the most seasoned veteran.

The "sea hare" is an inexpensive animal that does a quick job of eating up both cyano and hair algae. They are relatively inexpensive (MRA had them for $18 yesterday) but they eventually starve and die in a tank because they eat their food supply up very quickly. Not to mention that they are as ugly as sin and they get huge!

Anyway, I was thinking it would be neat if we started a "share a hare" program and got a few people in each borough and/or region to chip in for a sea hare and essentially pass it along to reefers in the region as needed.

Thoughts? I don't know how soon I can get to MRA, but I would be willing to chip in for one for the Manhattan "region". It looks like someone is offering one in Long Island...

Alfred

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I think we could minimize the risk by setting up a protocol. Slow acclimation which includes swapping out 100% of the water with tank water before putting it in the new system. I can't think of any parasites or diseases that could be "transported" by a sea hare if no water is transferred with it... This is actually a very good question!

I see one problem with this already, disease sharing... not everyone have good practice of qt.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
I think we could minimize the risk by setting up a protocol. Slow acclimation which includes swapping out 100% of the water with tank water before putting it in the new system. I can't think of any parasites or diseases that could be "transported" by a sea hare if no water is transferred with it... This is actually a very good question!

I have seen members using the DBTC (Don't break the chain) for this.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/dont-break-chain/

FWIW

House

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hey House, sounds good. Why don't we start with Manhattan since I am here. ;-) I could use one for a couple of days. Any one else in Manhattan interested on getting together for this? I can try to convince my wife to give me a ride to MRA. LOL

If I find half a dozen people interested I will start a post on Don't Break the Chain. Anything less and it makes it difficult to ensure that the sea hare stays healthy and has plenty to eat!

Alfred

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: