ifarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have to admit that my tank is infested with flat worm (red worm).

With a magnify glass, I was able to see them on the glass, on the corals and on the rocks. They sure are ugly looking .

what is the best way to get rid of them entirely? tips, suggestions and warnings are all welcome and much needed. I hate these invaders

Note: Going forward, I will dip every new corals. Does not matter where they came from (whether they were from your best buddy or from a long timer Manhattanreefers....)

thank you
Farmer

Last edited:

mluz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Had them in my tank about a year ago. I bought a Melanarus wrasse and it ate them all within a few weeks. Have not see one since then. My wrasse ate all my little feader dusters but did not touch any of the other invertebrates, cleaner shrimp, snails, hermit.

The other option is to use flatworm exit.

Last edited:

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Flatworm Exit. All dead in a day. Predators eat the ones they can see and reach. You might have to treat twice. No ill effects on pods and other good stuff.

Jim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Wow, you're not having a lot of luck lately. First red bug now flat worms. I keep a melanarus just as a preventative fish. How is the interceptor treatment going? Look into using bayer as a dip on your future additions.

Good luck with these pests.

Jhoehlein

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Could try a Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pseudocheilinops ataenia. Similar to a six line with none of the aggression. They can be hard to come by though. Another option is a canary wrasse or yellow "coris" wrasse, Halichoeres chrysus. They stay reasonably sized relative to the other Halichoeres, and are extremely common in the trade.

mluz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Could try a Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pseudocheilinops ataenia. Similar to a six line with none of the aggression. They can be hard to come by though. Another option is a canary wrasse or yellow "coris" wrasse, Halichoeres chrysus. They stay reasonably sized relative to the other Halichoeres, and are extremely common in the trade.

That's the other wrasse that I have, between the melanarus and virus, no flat worms

Jan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flat worm exit is great for killing planeria. Safe too. It's best to syphon them out first then do the treatment. The problem with the treatment is the toxin released from the flatworms when they die. It can get to harmful levels for other inhabitants. The FW's also get inside the rocks so it may take a couple or a few treatments. If you use the FW exit make sure you have enough mix ready for a large water change. don't wait too long between treatments. I had to treat my little pico 3 times.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: