Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I use bleach as a way to avoid local waters contamination. Sure enough, the waste waters goes thru some pretty nasty treatment (also called human crap) in the sewer. But since I have Caulerpa's that grew from my live rock, I prefer to take whatever precautions I can at my level. Same goes with dumping copepods and co.

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
Guys, thanks for all your input. I think i'll pump the water out to the street in the summer and dump the water in the slop sink in the winter and flush with fresh water afterward. I hope i don't have to dig up the rusty pump in a few year, as i intend to stay here for another 30 years....lol!

Spsnut

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's sooo refreshing seeing there is at least one person here doing the right thing by bleaching the waste water before dumping it into the public sewer. These are potentially invasive species that could do ecological harm if let into the ocean.

I've always wanted to research building a small seashore niche garden that would welcome my 10 gallons of waste water 6x monthly. I have a spot that drains under the porch that i dump to; in the winter I use the wc water for ice control on the drive. Im far from any municipal drains.

Spsnut

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not at all uncommon for the sewer dept to have to divert the drains and dump raw sewage. Water that runs down the street into storm drains receives no treatment. Why not use an ounce of prevention?

BrooklynReefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I vote toilet.

Reminded me of a not so funny story from high school. My buddys tank was far from the bathroom so he got lazy and started draining his tank out the window, right at the base of a 30' pine tree. After a month or so the pine was dead. His parents weren't to happy to say the least.

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
I vote toilet.

Reminded me of a not so funny story from high school. My buddys tank was far from the bathroom so he got lazy and started draining his tank out the window, right at the base of a 30' pine tree. After a month or so the pine was dead. His parents weren't to happy to say the least.

Hahaha!!! i have been dump water change to my tree outside my house for 1/2 year, and that damn tree is still alive!!!! i want to kill it...lol!

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
If I dumped my water, (which I don't since I don't do water changes), but what little water I generate goes into my fully lit, hair algae fulled, 30gal QC tank, which is also a reservior, from which I pull water out of sometimes. Dirty water goes in, clean water comes out.

I have a MA in sewage treatment, so from what I can remember...
Yes sea water will cause your pipes to rust. unless they are galvanized or PVC. You mentioned a sump pump? that might rust too.
If you have a septic tank, salt doesn't bother the biological sludge, it will adapt, but it does build up in the ground and is bad for agriculture.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: