Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
So im upgrading soon and ill need more live rock and sand i keep seeing otger members selling them here
My question is

Is it save to take sand from other tanks to put it in yours?
If so, how do i transfer it? Should i just dump it in the tank before placing the water or should i wash the sand first and clean it?
Or will i be better of just buying new dead sand ?

Any input will be appreciated
Thanks

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Buying used sand is not worth it.
You are buying someone else's headache that could have phosphates/nitrates trapped in it..or ich..or whatever caused them to be taking down their tank and selling their sand.

'Dead ' sand is used sand.
'Live' sand is the stuff they sell at the LFS in a bag that has water(?) in it. It's beyond me, how any useful bacteria - that doesn't have anything to eat - can really be alive in those bags and that helpful for your tank.

Dry sand (new) is what you get from a LFS..IMO you are far better off with new sand.
Dry sand needs to be well rinsed before you use it as there will be a lot of sand 'dust' in there. Seed it with a cup of sand from an established reefers tank - that you are sure has no issues (flatworms, ich etc...) It will be loaded with bacteria in short order.

If starting a new tank, put your rocks in first as they should never be placed on top of the sand bed. then add the sand, then add the water. (best if the water being added dumps onto a dinner plate or a plastic bag so you don't disturb the sand and make it swirl all over the place!)

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
If rock is placed first the sand helps stabilize it although I put sand down first. As for OP's question if buying used sand probably best to clean it good and treat as dead. It is doable (I have done so) but takes some work to rinse. I used those large rubbermaids and just filled with water mixed it around and siphoned water out, repeat a few times until clear and final rinse with RO.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Kathy why should rock not be placed on sand just curious?

We have too many critters in our tanks that burrow into the sand. If your rock is on top of the sand bed and the bed becomes compromised in any way, you will likely have a collapse of at least some rocks..into the glass.. and poof....broken tank :(
The sand helps stabilize the base rocks tremendously.

Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Buying used sand is not worth it.
You are buying someone else's headache that could have phosphates/nitrates trapped in it..or ich..or whatever caused them to be taking down their tank and selling their sand.

'Dead ' sand is used sand.
'Live' sand is the stuff they sell at the LFS in a bag that has water(?) in it. It's beyond me, how any useful bacteria - that doesn't have anything to eat - can really be alive in those bags and that helpful for your tank.

Dry sand (new) is what you get from a LFS..IMO you are far better off with new sand.
Dry sand needs to be well rinsed before you use it as there will be a lot of sand 'dust' in there. Seed it with a cup of sand from an established reefers tank - that you are sure has no issues (flatworms, ich etc...) It will be loaded with bacteria in short order.

If starting a new tank, put your rocks in first as they should never be placed on top of the sand bed. then add the sand, then add the water. (best if the water being added dumps onto a dinner plate or a plastic bag so you don't disturb the sand and make it swirl all over the place!)

Thanks a lot
Thinking about it
You truly right...i dont know why or how they had to break down their tanks to know how good that sand is

But do you think when sand gets washed alot or all of the dirt and pests/decease will get washed out ?

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
My apologies if any offense is taken, however some thought must be taken when asking and answering this question. Unless there is a process by which manufacturers are making new sand, All sand was at one time or another live,dead, in water and out of water. If you clean the sand correctly then the sand can be used again. Sand that washes up on the beach has all the bacteria and impurities that the ocean has deposited on it, the sun kills off the bacteria as the sand dries. As for phosphates, a thorough rinsing in RODI water will correct this problem. once done allow the sand to dry in the sun. We do the same to rock that is placed in our tanks. The term live sand or live rock simply means that it has the beneficial bacteria and or organisms on it for your tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: