skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Old rock/new rock, bacteria will still end up carrying over populate and multiply. The more you can feed bacteria, the better the system with bacteria population.

Why is a carbon source needed for feeding bacteria. The answer is pretty plain and simple. Ever been sick for a long duration? The foreign bacteria in your body which gets you sick will feed off any sugar proteins (carbon) that you introduce into your system. The less intake of a carbon source the less time frame you are on being sick.

Same theory applies here. So if you want to keep those little guys happy and populating quicker, feed them a carbon source.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
You live in Long Island as I do, for over 40 years I just go down to the Long Island Sound and grab a handful of mud. I throw that in my tank or just put it in a container in my tank for a few days. That is how I add bacteria.
My tank is 42 years old, no problems yet, and it is free.

Yani1133

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Theoretically it would give you more diversity, the problem is over time the better suited will dominate and diversity will drop unless you continue to dose, so you have to keep up this addition i would guess every few weeks(youd be surprised how quick this happens in an artificial environment. Another way to do this could be to pick up a pound of live rock rubble every so often or as paul b does add in some mud. I actually do the same thing exxcept its a clump of ulva every few weeks from shark river.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Yeah but its a new setup. I added my old liverock though but added alot of new rock with no sand bed. I want to add different strains of bacteria before I start vodka dosing

Ok, then i vote for Dr. Tim.

Attachments

• drt-001_1z.jpg
    drt-001_1z.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 265

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: