duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Since I am bare bottom i wanted to use different types of bacteria to my system. I have special blend,Dr Tims and Fritz zyme. Now ive always used special blend but can I add all three of these together or should I dose 1 at a time till its finished then add another bacteria?

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I would space out each personally...but it shouldn't make much of a difference. The issue is will they out compete each other and they will have limited space to colonize with a BB setup...but since bacteria are microscopic anyway who knows... I dont think it would hurt, just not sure if there's a benefit all at once..

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
224   0   0
So I have high nitrates,would adding this or like microbacter 7 help w that? Coz from what I read its to convert ammonia into nitrite but nothing about nitrate export.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I don't know the competing products but look at biooptim / biodigest from prodibio.

Anaerobic bacteria (which you can feed / promote through carbon dosing) or found in mature tanks, process nitrate into nitrogen gas.

Thats basically how vodka/vinegar dosing and biopellets work.. By feeding carbon source, anaerobic bacteria grows into a colony (same as ammonia processing bacteria) and reduces nitrate by turning into nitrogen gas.

The idea is adding these bacteria directly to help colonize but without the negative associated with pellets and carbon dosing...supposedly

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
instead of trying to add bacteria, why do you not instead feed them so that they can better multiply. Try carbon dosing.
I am not much of a fan of trying to introduce dead/dying bacteria into a system that is already cycled.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Theres a lot of reasons... deoxygenation, cyano outbreaks, imbalance nitrate/phosphate ratio preventing it from dropping both properly (think this applies to pellets...but maybe vodka/vinegar too?) theres are pros and cons to all solutions...finding the one that gives you the right comfort level and effectiveness is what makes this hobby interesting :)

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I saw a video that proved in a lab that the bacteria from ( microbacter 7) survived for 48 hrs as advertised. Wether this is enough time or not to make an impact I don't know I have no experience w it.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Back to topic...dukes original question was there any advantage to dosing multiple simultaneously or is it best to separate the dosing?

I would also say it depends on how much dosage you will add...if you add the recommended dosage for three products and there is not enough carbon and other fuel then they most will starve for sure...if you do 3 doses at 1/3 recommended might be the better way to approach...just trying to ask the questions to get some real answers here...this is all just theory..

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
instead of trying to add bacteria, why do you not instead feed them so that they can better multiply. Try carbon dosing.
I am not much of a fan of trying to introduce dead/dying bacteria into a system that is already cycled.

+1 in that, NO need to add, u already have bacteria in u tank, need to add Carbon, i dose Vodka, TMZ dose both,Vodka and Vinegar,November 2011 Tank of the Month, some bacteria use Vodka,some bacteria use Vinegar, some bacteria use sugar, u will got imbalance nitrate/phosphate ratio if run Biopellets and u don't now to balance,u will got deoxygenation if overdose and less water flow, cyano outbreak got ppl. who got sand.

3 tanks belong TMZ

Attachments

• FTS.jpg
    FTS.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 324

Silkyslim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
153   0   0

+2 if you already have a thriving system adding more strains of bacteria doesn't help IMO.

Greagzter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I think you shouldnt mix any of those at the same time. Now, while I didnt use the ones you have listed. I do stand by Microbacter 7 as I used it (to bring my nutrient levels down) and sometimes use it right after w/c to replenish bacteria. Though I am not sure how the nitrogen gas is released while having BB, perhaps the same way. If you are thinking of carbon dosing, then try Reef-Biofuel by Brightwell (I think its a safer alternative to vodka dosing).

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I think you shouldnt mix any of those at the same time. Now, while I didnt use the ones you have listed. I do stand by Microbacter 7 as I used it (to bring my nutrient levels down) and sometimes use it right after w/c to replenish bacteria. Though I am not sure how the nitrogen gas is released while having BB, perhaps the same way. If you are thinking of carbon dosing, then try Reef-Biofuel by Brightwell (I think its a safer alternative to vodka dosing).

It's exchanged b your skimmer. BB has nothing to do with it. Typically in the sandbed or deep sand bed is where you would have pockets of anaerobic bacteria to grow. and as far as WC is concerned, there is very little in the WC as bacteria "stick" to surfaces like sand and LR so you wouldn't lose much in that..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: