LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are all the ideal livestock besides copepods?
And what's to be avoided?

Is a deep sand bed really beneficial? (So far I'd rather go barebottom to avoid the extra layer)

How about a hermit crabs or small clams? Especially if there's a sand bed, them and some stirrer snails might help keep it turned over)

And what about mongraves, which are the best long-term resident? I've seen many listings on ebay but they rarely identify what kind or give variety. Also, I've had a hard time finding any seagrasses, with most vendors seemingly offering more of the leafy/branchy macroalgeas like cualerpa or cheatomorpha.

Lastly, how's about sponges and kenya trees, will they do well in and be beneficial, or harmful?

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
229   0   0
It sounds like you want a display refugium. You can add some hermit crabs and snails. They will eats some pods. Sponges are beneficial. Add mangroves if you like them but they require a little more care. Throw whatever algae you want. I wouldn't add coral cause then you would need to worry about lights.

Look into reefs2go refuigium packs. You get macros and pods. They are a free ship item. I am not sure if they still have it but it was 20% off everything. I will get a picture of my refugium it kind of unique.

trinimaddness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
i think hermits snail etc shouldnt be kept in the fuge because they find their way in pumps and skimmer.. well at least mines do..I have these tiny snails at produce in my tank and they're EVERYWHERE..

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have my overflow go into a breeders box with chemi pure. Then I just have sand and macro algae. I usually have a lot more macro but I removed most of it today because I am using it as a holding tank. I like this set up because it adds water volume to my system and gives pods an place to grow in the macro. I have enough rock in my display tank to act as a filter. I also have macro, feather dusters and loads of sponges in the display tank.

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I know it doesn't give much refuge but it normally has much more algae. Just wanted to clarify this after realising it looks like an tank with nothing except water and a couple of fish. I could probably add some rock.

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Yeah that's why I removed the algae I didn't want him to get tangled up. I had a bunch of time off this week so I extended his pond. He has only been in there for a few hours while I drain the pond so I can move it and replace it.

LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Eddy for picking up on Caulerpa in CA.. hopefully getting ahold of some seagrass will quell any desire for sneaking in some caulerpa, I already got some red macros including a 'dragon' one from LaReefs.

Permanently housing any adult-sized fish in it is a big no no, right?

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
Hey Cu455, have you done a power failure test? You should probably move your power center from under the sump in any event.
I have my overflow go into a breeders box with chemi pure. Then I just have sand and macro algae. I usually have a lot more macro but I removed most of it today because I am using it as a holding tank. I like this set up because it adds water volume to my system and gives pods an place to grow in the macro. I have enough rock in my display tank to act as a filter. I also have macro, feather dusters and loads of sponges in the display tank.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Great idea 36, but will mantis (or pistol) eat pods, tiny shrimp?

I remember taking down my tank in NYC, the sump/refuge was LOADED with baby shrimps/crustaceans jumping up everywhere, plus barnacle-thingys attacked to most every surface, even inside the pumps.

I honestly wouldn't know first thing about caring for one. Find them interesting though and nice looking. I have only seen/read about then dedicated setups

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Hey Cu455, have you done a power failure test? You should probably move your power center from under the sump in any event.

I need to fix the wires. I am assume a power fail test tests what will happen with the back flow if the return pump fails. I had a broken HOB filter which the return goes in. When the pump is turned off only what is in the pipe will drop back down. it's also another little refugium.

Last edited by a moderator:

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Thanks Eddy for picking up on Caulerpa in CA.. hopefully getting ahold of some seagrass will quell any desire for sneaking in some caulerpa, I already got some red macros including a 'dragon' one from LaReefs.

Permanently housing any adult-sized fish in it is a big no no, right?

look on reef cleaners under macro's, i think only fern caulerpa is banned their are others. is pot the only thing legal their? lol

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: