Tangster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to order a pair of maroon clowns, and a pair of pink skunk clowns, and was wondering if they have any hope of living together in my 90 gallon. i have two anemones setup on either side of the tank to keep them far away from each other. the skunks are drastically different in not only shape but design. i am only worried about the maroon clowns, because they are extremely aggressive. i have kept a mated pair of clarkii clowns before, so i know how to keep a healthy pair. i plan on adding the skunks a week to two weeks earlier than the maroons to let them settle before the maroons enter the tank can this be done or should i just get one pair. Any experiences?

Lostinthedark

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a pair of Maroons and a pair of Percs in a 250. Although they have plenty of room to spread out, both pairs hang out together in the middle of the tank. I rarely see any aggression even thought they female Maroon is easily double the size of the others. That being said I think you'll run into trouble in a 90.

Tangster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'll all the fish have arrived today, everyone is healthy and in quarantine right now. All the clowns are together in the same tank, and the maroons actually just swim around with the skunks. The skunks are twice the size of the maroons. Nobody fights accept the 2 maroons. It seems One maroon has claimed the right side of the tank and the other is not allowed over there. I am guessing the other is a male, because he has not caught back. It is just the female that is doing the fighting. She also seems a tiny bit larger and has black coloration on her fins. Any input?

Tangster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the situation has moved to the point where one maroon is clearly stronger and is chasing the other maroon around. Their fins are shredded and neither one is submitting to the other. I have placed one maroon in a clear tuba wear with holes poked in it for circulation. They still fight through the tuba wear but the one outside has started calming down. Does anyone have any experience with pairing maroons? It is supposed to be extremely difficult so any ideas or experience would be great.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
What size qt do you have them in?
If i were you i would go to home depot and get egg crate, separate the clowns that way. It will take a while before they are used to each other, If you are going to qt the way they should be, by the time you are done they should be okay.

Tangster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them in qt for about 3-4 hours. In that time the situation escalated so quickly that there was no way for them to get away from each other. The 90 gallon has no fish except for the maroons, I figured they would have a lot mor space to slim and the weaker one could hide.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
ahh, okay, but keep in mind that they are still in an enclosed system, make sure you have a screen top on that tank, and plenty of rock or even tons of pvc pipes, I have seen fish fight till one dominates and the other goes carpet surfing.

Tangster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well right now I am going to keep one in the tubaware to keep it safe until the other one cools off. Last night I saw the maroon going up to the tubaware and not showing aggression towards it. Once the lights come on i will see if they try to fight through the tubaware. If not I will release them and see if the weak one will show submission. The fish are a little less than an inch so I don't think they are both females.

Tangster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried about 3 more times today with no luck, not even any signs of submission. I think I might try to put them together in a small bucket and see if they will do anything. Does anyone have experience with pairing maroon clown fish?????

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
... I think I might try to put them together in a small bucket and see if they will do anything. Does anyone have experience with pairing maroon clown fish?????
They're fighting and fins are shredded...but you're gonna put them together until they 'play nice'?
And then you're expecting these 2 little 1.5" maroons to pair?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: