aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
Problem:

Recently about 2 months ago, I had acquired a piece of coral from a non-RODI aquarium. Unknowingly of course, it has leeched out its phosphates. Having placed sand in the aquarium about 6 months ago (oolite), it has created a thin conglomerate layer of algae and sand creating a pocket of air between it and the sand bed.

Its begun to slightly spread... If pictures will help determine a resolution will take pictures first thing tomorrow.

Resolutions?

My only thoughts are to siphon out the algae any other more efficient ideas?

btw: i dont really like using phosban etc to remove phosphates b/c when i was using 2part, i was using phosban religiously, and it was removing too much alkalinity. when it was removed from the tank, the parameters went all screwy.. Dont want that to happen again :(
It only started on spots of the sand bed where the coral was placed. Its begun to leech around..

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
thank you experts. :redface:

Last edited:

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Aaron, I found that only when PO4 was very high, did GFO have an effect on alkalinity. If your levels are that high, all you have to do is keep an eye on the alk levels until you balance out. I'm having a hard time believing that one rock is the only factor in PO4 levels raising that high.
I'm not sure if I'm reading correctly, but are you saying that the algae is in the sandbed with bubbles mixed in? Against the glass? How deep is the sandbed? This is a typical occurance and the main reason people don't like DSB's in their main display. Eventually, from the front, the sand starts to look a little ugly. You've seen it in my tank.
What is your PO4 measuring? On which kit?
Let's make sure there is a problem before we try to correct it.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
is this algae or cyano, it sounds like the later. I would just siphon it out.
I have a ton of nuisance algae growing in my tank now due to my RO filter
getting clogged and pumping in garbage for who knows how long. I'm not stressing
it. Just do water changes and maintain good husbandry. If your lucky maybe Chris will
come over and help you, it sounds like he wants to get his hands in a reef tank again :)

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
thanks guys for responding so quickly. The algae is only growing on the sand bed and nothing at all on the glass. Its weird cause it only started on the spots where the corals had been sitting. I had 2 pieces, and it started right where they were placed and then spread. the sand bed is not too deep (3 inches at the highest point and 2 at the lowest), I can take a picture today cause half the tank is clean and the other half is algae ridden :)letitallo).

I have a salifert po4 (should i test?).

Bubbles are only mixed inbetween the sandbed layer been the algae and the good sand on the bottom. The color of the algae is like a dark green. I'll take pics today cause i think that will explain lots!! :smile:

I've got 2x tunze 6100's on the tank, so theres decently flow on the sand bed.

thank you chris j, etompkins.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
What kind of algae is it? Pics?

Or do we have to ------------------>
117.gif

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
*slight update* its reached the glass... :eek:

pictures were taken a moment ago..

Picture 1 close up algae #1
Picture 2 close up algae #2
Picture 3 close up algae #3
Picture 4 - half the tank with algae problem, haven't put anything on this site yet..
Picture 5 - half the tank with no algae problem

DSC01584.jpg

DSC01585.jpg

DSC01588.jpg

DSC01587.jpg

DSC01586.jpg

Last edited:

sapseven

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
get some scarlet hermit crabs .. that looks like cyano .. i don't think its really an issue of ro water .. even if you introduce some phosphates into your tank from a frag.. it would only be so minuscule that eventually a few water changes would fix the problem up .. i have that having magnesium at 1300 ppms clears up cyano within a few days .. give it a shot i think it will work. goodluck

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: