Got ORP? - Reefs.com

Home  / Forums  / Global Forums  / Advanced Reefs  /  Got ORP?
One to Ignore
Got ORP?
10-16-2008, 06:28 PM
When I was drafting the Cyanobacteria Primer, I got to thinking about ORP and have been doing some research into its significance.

An article in the December 2003 issue of Reef Keeping Magazine, by Randy Holmes Farley, entitled ORP and the Reef Aquarium, has been one of the primary places that I have found information on it, and while it makes for a great read, some of it is over my head.

I am primarly intersted in using ORP as one of many measurements of overall water qualtiy. To often, you can see that there is something not right in the system (algae build up, cyanobacteria, etc. etc.) but all of the usual suspects check out. You figure that it is probably a build up of DOC (i.e. time for a water change) but it is ultimately just a guess.

It seems that knowing the tanks ORP and watching the trend (i.e. is it slowly going down, up, level, sudden spike, etc. etc.), you might be able to measure a build up of organics and take corrective action before there is a problem.

Who out there is measuirng orp?; How are you measurieng it (specific equipment)?; and, What do you do with the information that you get?

When you pay too much, you lose a little money, that's all
When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything,
because the thing you bought was incapable of
doing the thing it was bought to do

John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Fish and Coral Killer
10-23-2008, 06:00 AM
ACIII and ACIIIP when I had water in my tanks.

I do pretty much nothing with it, ozone and bigger skimmers were used to adjust the tank.

One to Ignore
10-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_reef View Post
ACIII and ACIIIP when I had water in my tanks.

I do pretty much nothing with it, ozone and bigger skimmers were used to adjust the tank.
6am Eastern... up late this morning?

Did you use the Aquacontrolers to control ozone?

Did you ever notice a correlation between decreasing ORP levels and the outbreak of algae?

John Ruskin (1819-1900)

ReefsMagazine!
10-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Matt, I measure for it with my controller. I don't try to adjust it in any way, it's just a number I use to judge the overall health of the tank. My tank is usually in the 400's

who's down with ORP this thread has some more ORP info and opinions.

Xavi
10-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Hi,
I´m using a the Milwaukee ORP meter just to control global quality and trend of it. And it really tells me when water quality is decreasing.
I´m keeping it close to 450.
Is just another way to control the parameters and how healthy is the tank

10-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Milwaukee now, soon to be my aqua controller
my orp is anywhere between 395 and 450 MV
lots of factors contribute to ORP, salinity temperature, dissolved organics

I use just as a measure of water quality
used to use ozone haven't set it up on 450 too many other issues to deal with now

One to Ignore
10-23-2008, 09:12 PM
For anybody that has bee following their ORP for a long time, do you see any correlations between decreasing ORP and algae outbreaks, or overall water quality.

There is an interesting finding in this article, Total Organic Carbon (TOC) and the Reef Aquarium, found in the August issue of Advanced Aqauarist ,

The article states "The TOC content of the author's tank, and ORP readings at the same time points, were measured over the course of a typical week...." and then later on charts TOC and ORP. If you look at the graph you can see that there does not seem to be a correlation between the two. They state that "There is no useful correlation between TOC values and ORP values". They where using some pretty sophisticated lab equipment to take there readings. This would seem to suggest that ORP is not useful in terms of measuring overall water quality.

John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Last edited by meschaefer; 10-23-2008 at 10:49 PM. Reason: re phrased a portion of the post

10-23-2008, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meschaefer View Post
For anybody that has bee following their ORP for a long time, do you see any corrleations between decreasing ORP and algae outbreaks, or overall water quality.

There is an interesting finding in this article, Total Organic Carbon (TOC) and the Reef Aquarium, found in the August issue of Advanced Aqauarist ,

The article states "The TOC content of the author's tank, and ORP readings at the same time points, were measured over the course of a typical week...." and then later on charts TOC and ORP and finds "There is no useful correlation between TOC values and ORP values". They where using some pretty sophisticated lab equipment to take there readings. This would seem to suggest that ORP is not usefull in terms of measuring overall water quality.
Matt, I can't speak to the findings in that article, but I know who can--Dr. Ken Feldman the author-- and he just happens to be one of the speakers at the next MR frag swap. His topic: "Total Organic Carbon in Reef Aquaria-- The Good, The Bad, The Ugly." You might get some answers there

10-23-2008, 11:02 PM
I have noticed than when I replace GFO and /or carbon my ORP rises.
I cant say that when it drops I see more micro algae.
I was also on a kick where I was testing dissolved 02
I don't remember the numbers ( I had a log but my desktop crashed waiting for my son to repair it) but I do remember the biggest factor in readings had to do with temp swings, affected disolved o2 and Orp

Matt I kind of get where your going with this as far as algae outbreaks I dont think it will be a simple explantion.

even with PO4 down to .001 and my orp over 400MV I still had cynao
so.....

One to Ignore
10-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prattreef View Post
Matt, I can't speak to the findings in that article, but I know who can--Dr. Ken Feldman the author-- and he just happens to be one of the speakers at the next MR frag swap. His topic: "Total Organic Carbon in Reef Aquaria-- The Good, The Bad, The Ugly." You might get some answers there
As if I wasn't excited enough to begin with, now I am just down right giddy.

John Ruskin (1819-1900)