Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Be back in 2 hours but I need all you guys girls attention... Some of the vet reefers might even have seen these before..Okay a lot of you know I've been thinking about the idea of adding Ozone to my system.. I found a reactor that adds pure oxygen to the water without the risk to the kids that ozone has... Perfect for people like me that have their display tanks in a family area like the living room.. This reactor uses a 6% solution of peroxide with a a catalyst pellet to achieve the maximum level of oxygen in my system... This product is not new to serious koi keepers and breeders..It's also not new to some marine enthusiast..
Until a few years ago this product was only used in ponds during extremely hot days and during the winter months when the oxygen levels weren't acceptable to keep fish alive.. Now we can use these reactors in our saltwater systems after some modifications to create oxygen levels that are always at peak levels even during those hot summer days when the oxygen levels deplete very fast because of the extreme temps some tanks go through.. Best part is that this reactor doesn't use electric to make this chemical reaction.. This thing takes the place of a ozone generator and possibly UV...

So picture this: Hot summer day tank goes up to 84 degrees or a little higher, everyone in your area is running their ac and the power goes out.... The reactor is still working to keep oxygen levels at 100%... If you have this reactor your not worried about a tank crash because of extreme heat depleting O2 levels and fish dieng from not being able to breathe.. If you don't have this reactor your,,,,,, well lets just say" going to be very worried and possibly loose your tank inhabitants..
Another great German product..

Last edited:

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Okay I'm back.. and so is my little friend..

Attachments

• oxydator.JPG
    oxydator.JPG
    346.9 KB · Views: 1,216
Last edited:

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Added catalyst.. I've read that and even tried to order it from marine depot.. They don't even sell the reactor they had an older model thatwas more geared towards ponds and still water.. They only have the juice for it not actual reactor,,lol..

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I remember these units from a long time ago. You filled them up with Hydrogen peroxide, and I think something else, and then hung them upside down in the tank. They would then slowly release Hydrogen peroxide over time. Not sure if they ever did what they were suppose to do or not but they never caught on.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Yeah, they use a special type of ceramic as a catalyst for the Hydrogen peroxide.. The bt product is simple water and pure O2.. I'll take that over the cons of running a ozone generator any day.. It also doesn't release the Hydrogen peroxide into the water just water and O2 I believe..

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I bought a smaller one when I got this one that will be good for a tank up to 60 gallons.. If someone else would like to have the comfort and stability of using this reactor pm me.. It's small and goes inside the display tank..

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Yeah, they use a special type of ceramic as a catalyst for the Hydrogen peroxide.. The bt product is simple water and pure O2.. I'll take that over the cons of running a ozone generator any day.. It also doesn't release the Hydrogen peroxide into the water just water and O2 I believe..

The thing is, simple O2 isn't the same thing as ozone and I don't think it'd have the same effect. Ozone's significantly more unstable and, thus, reactive. Since your goal is to break down organic molecules, you really want O3.

Chemistry lesson: Oxygen occurs in two forms, naturally, at normal atmospheric pressure and temperature: An O2 molecule, with two oxygen molecules bonded together, and O3, ozone, which has three. O2 is stable, and generally requires an energy -input- in order to crack. O3 is unstable, and will readily lose that extra O. This free atomic oxygen -- a 'free radical' is highly charged and will break the internal bonds of most organic compounds that it comes in contact with so that it can bond at the break.

(If it comes in contact with another O atom, it'll bond to form an O2 molecule. Energy is generally required in addition to O/O2 to form an O3 molecule.)

It works basically the same as H2O2 does, actually, though O3 is more unstable and readily produced from the atmosphere -- and its application is more localized. The H2O2 loses an O, which can happen spontaneously with light, heat, and time -- just like an O3 molecule.

On the other hand, if you do have a problem with the levels of dissolved oxygen in your system, this thing could help -- though if it lasts for several weeks on a charge of 6% H2O2, I have to wonder how effective it is at actually raising the level of O2 in the system. (I don't know the scale, so I can't calculate what kinda volume of O2 is produced.) An airstone -- or any kinda running skimmer, or even the turbulent flow of water dropping through your overflow and return line would be better at oxygenating the water -- the main advantage this thing has is that you don't need any electricity, which could actually make it useful for blackout situations.

Actually, in that situation, you could just put some H2O2 in a 2L bottle and run an airline out the top to an airstone in the tank. Drop some meat in the bottle -- small bits of mashed-up liver would be best, but ground beef works too. Add more when oxygen generation slows. You also could use potassium permanganate or any of a hundred other catalysts that tend to break H2O2 apart readily.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
It was a joke that me and a friend had going,, but I can't keep it going... It seems like I'm really mad or something... A freind was at my place and wrote that..
Not me.. I didn't even get achance to read the post,lol.. I did this to a fellow reefer one night at his home and he got me back..

Last edited:

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
a freind of mine is the only person that has them in the US.. If you guys would like to try it I can get some.. I have one good for up to 65gallons in my posession.. I bought it from him because I knew someone would want one and this could the difference between a small system being hard to take care of and it being a lot easier.. I swear by all my toys though,,lol..

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Okay time for the fiest results.. I usually run about 280 on the orp probe I got a while back from a reefer here used.. It's been about 3 days since I got the new toy and the orp is reading 380 already... I don't know much about orp, but from what IO've read this is a good sign??? No???? Anybody,,lol

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Okay time for the first results.. I usually run about 280 on the orp probe I got a while back from a reefer here used.. It's been about 3 days since I got the new toy in the system and the orp is reading 380 already... I don't know much about orp, but from what I've read this is a good sign??? No???? Anybody,,lol

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: