Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
As soon as I get back from which I haven't left for vacation,,lol... I will be more than happy to have a fellow reefer experience what I consider to be one of the greater additions to this hobby..

Last edited:

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I like fish :fish:

I also use an XL Midwest Denitrator. As for residual sulfur buildup, don't know :) What I do know is that, I like fish!
I can relate to heavy stocking and all the nutrients that comes along with heavy stocking. (I refuse to say overstocking :) )
I have 47 fish in a 280g system. It's an 180g and 102g display tied to a common 75g sump. I feed pellets 2x a day and frozen home-brew at night. No3 & Po4 will logically get very high in a system like this. Although this might not be a reef environment, I do keep some LPS in these tanks. The Midwest has been able to let me keep my N03 in check, not zero but good enough to only perform 14% water changes once per month.
Here's what I'm referring to:
180g
180gfts.jpg

102g
102gfts.jpg

Midwest Sulfur Denitrator
Denitrator.jpg

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I also use an XL Midwest Denitrator. As for residual sulfur buildup, don't know :)

The sales person told me sulfur turns into gold, which makes fish appears to be gold like. That must be why that gold flake you have look so good :).. It also boosts ALK in the tank :splitspin

Holy crap that's a lot of fish in there!!.. What's the No3 numbers before and after?

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
I like fish :fish:

I also use an XL Midwest Denitrator. As for residual sulfur buildup, don't know :) What I do know is that, I like fish!
I can relate to heavy stocking and all the nutrients that comes along with heavy stocking. (I refuse to say overstocking :) )
I have 47 fish in a 280g system. It's an 180g and 102g display tied to a common 75g sump. I feed pellets 2x a day and frozen home-brew at night. No3 & Po4 will logically get very high in a system like this. Although this might not be a reef environment, I do keep some LPS in these tanks. The Midwest has been able to let me keep my N03 in check, not zero but good enough to only perform 14% water changes once per month.
Here's what I'm referring to:
180g
180gfts.jpg

102g
102gfts.jpg

Midwest Sulfur Denitrator
Denitrator.jpg
[/QUOTE

Love It.....Nice....I agree with the term overstocking....:splitspin....lol

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Holy crap that's a lot of fish in there!!.. What's the No3 numbers before and after?

:shhh: Before the denitrator, No3 was getting close to 75 ppm. I had no doubt it would end up and stay in the hundreds even if I doubled the water changes. Took the denitrator a very short time to cycle but at least 6 months to bring the N03 down to about 25 ppm. When I went away for a week & they just had the pellets on an auto feeder, No3 went down to around 10 ppm. I think based on the stocking issue, 25 ppm is about all I can expect.

Heck, you were growing beautiful SPS corals in your 150g with No3 & Po4 that was industry taboo :lol2:

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
Pecan2phat, where did you get the 102g i been looking for a good rimless tank

are you trying to not do anymore water changes? Dialysea does cost alot and yearly replacement parts end up costing alot more than a regular RO unit. I am still trying to figure out how to make a DIY type

Dialyseas is much more than just a ro/di unit..But it really does not cost as much as you think. Rather than try to explain what it does Ill let seavisions do that. http://www.seavisions.com/dialyseas_aquarium_dialysis_equi.htm We all replace ro/di membranes according to usage so this is the same cost factor. Secondly, a five gallon container of salt will purify between 210 - 250 gallons of water using the dialyseas...as opposed to 150 gallons done by regularly mixing. THis adds up over time....but lets just say worst case scenario its a wash....The actual dializer membrane is 55 bucks and should last you quite a while....anywhere from 8-12 months depending upon use. Lets again go with a worst case scenario 2 per year...As for probes you only need 2 to operate. The conductivity and the ph probe Bolth of these get relaced every year. So lets add up the cost of a worse case scenario

2 dializer membranes $120
1 Conductivity Probe $145
1 Ph probe $140
total $405 for the year.....

Not so bad if you ask me...:splitspin

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
yea $405 isnt that bad but if you think about it its a dialasis and a ro unit that is all rolled into one. I went through searching this unit and it seems to me it just does daily water changes that keeps it at the same salinity

Here is a nice link where i base most of my info on this unit also it says round $700 a year for maintaing the system even though it might be out dated material
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/pr/index.php

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
yea $405 isnt that bad but if you think about it its a dialasis and a ro unit that is all rolled into one. I went through searching this unit and it seems to me it just does daily water changes that keeps it at the same salinity

Here is a nice link where i base most of my info on this unit also it says round $700 a year for maintaing the system even though it might be out dated material
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/pr/index.php

I will let you know In a little while....I get mine back from seavisions in a week.....:splitspin..If you would like I will let you know how it works out....I have been in extensive contact with the designer of this unit....and am actually trying out some new hardware on there unit....They are dropping a new dialyseas this fall....It is insane....that is all I can say...:shhh:

mray

?
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
Vinegar is also used as a carbon source but I don't know the reason Frank is using it in his tank. It more commonly mixed in with kalk water to lower pH and contribute as a carbon source.

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Vinegar is also used as a carbon source but I don't know the reason Frank is using it in his tank. It more commonly mixed in with kalk water to lower pH and contribute as a carbon source.

BINGO! My top off system flows through a kalk reactor with out the vinegar my PH was 8.6 steady now between 8.3-8,4( digital PH meter)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: