jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
All i can say is im happy with my zoe system .. And dont knock it if you dont try it .

How long have you been running a zeo system? I am all for trying new stuff, but I have yet to see a Zeovit or Brightwell or any other complex dosing system run long-term, other than the one example on the zeo site.

Lots of stuff works over the short haul, but this is a long term hobby and I am curious to see some long-term (4+ yrs) success with these systems.

Last edited:

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
How long have you been running a zeo system? I am all for trying new stuff, but I have yet to see a Zeovit or Brightwell or any other complex dosing system run long-term, other than the one example on the zeo site.

Lot's of stuff works over the short haul, but this is a long term hobby and I am curious to see some long-term (4+ yrs) success with these systems.

Its only been two weeks and i am seeing and inprovment in colors in my sps but still have a long way to go to see what happens.

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
JR, I've been running Zeo for almost a year now. If you want to see people who have been running for long term, go to www.zeovit.com. These are the zeo forums. There are actually hundreds of people there who have been running for many years. If you look at the tank of the quarter threads, some of those have been running a few years now as well. I believe Bob and G Alexander have both been running their Zeo Systems since 2005.

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Yes, there is a big color difference. From what I understand, when you reach ULNS, you are starving out the zooxanthallae so they expell from the corals exposing the corals natural fleshy colors underneath. This is only a brief summary of what I've read but the main jist.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
So then you do see a drastic change in color. I am going to start vodka dosing first then move into the system

Honestly Anthony, I wouldn't even bother with Vodka. I think it'd be hard to transition from one carbon dosing system to another, but that's just my opinion.

FWIW, now that I have my carbon reactor going strong, (a need with the Zeovit system) I'm going to order the Zeostart2 and Zeobak. I'm not going to use the zeovit stones for now.

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Honestly Anthony, I wouldn't even bother with Vodka. I think it'd be hard to transition from one carbon dosing system to another, but that's just my opinion.

FWIW, now that I have my carbon reactor going strong, (a need with the Zeovit system) I'm going to order the Zeostart2 and Zeobak. I'm not going to use the zeovit stones for now.

Just curious why you are not using the Zeolites? I'm concerned because it seems like another person that could have trouble. Why not just follow the correct method?

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I don't have a great answer for that, really. I know that you can reduce nitrates and phosphates by adding a carbon source and bacteria to the system. (IE: vodka and MB7)

I'm figuring that you can use the Zeostart2 and Zeobak and go without the Zeovit stones. Quite frankly, the Zeovit Reactors are all pretty expensive (overpriced, IMO) and most have to be used internally. Unfortunately there just isn't any room in my sump for a reactor that size.

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
And if your doing what is says on the bottle your going to crash your tank because that if your using zeolight with that .You have to cut dosing in half what the bottle says if your not using zeolight with it..

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I agree that for the most part, $140 isn't a lot in this hobby, but it's a lot for a $35 reactor with a pvc pipe added on to stir up the stones, and it turns into a $140 reactor. The only externals I've seen have been in the $300-400 range.

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Be very careful when dosing on your own. There are many things that can go wrong and people will not be able to give advice because your kinda playing with your water chemistry with your dosages. Some issues that can occur are blooms of bacteria, blooms of cyanobacteria, rapid bleaching or tissue necrosis from change in biochemistry, etc...

I just wanna caution that Zeovit was created to work a certain way. True there are many supplements that can be dosed in a regular system without Zeovit such as the foods, Coral Vitalizer, Pohl's Xtra, K-Iodide, etc... But the Basic 4 for creating a ULNS is not something that should be broken up. These 4 elements are the key elements to running a full Zeo System. Zeobac, ZeoStart2, Sponge Power, and Zeovit (Zeolites).

ReeferGoneMad

I Smoke Live Rocks
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i thought that pastel colors were achieved by the means of reducing the symbiotic zoo algae? maybe zeovit provides a means of nutrition for corals if their zoo populations are decreased as well as other factors such as the reducing of waste before it turns to ammonia. but i wouldn't know just my 2 cents.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
i thought that pastel colors were achieved by the means of reducing the symbiotic zoo algae? maybe zeovit provides a means of nutrition for corals if their zoo populations are decreased as well as other factors such as the reducing of waste before it turns to ammonia. but i wouldn't know just my 2 cents.

Which is why this method has always seemed strange to me. Can it be a good thing long term to selectively starve off the very evolutionary adaptation that enables corals to exist in the 1st place----the symbiosis with zoox? Even if you can selectively supplement the nutritional requirements via various potions and elixirs ( which it seems you can ) I can't help but think this is stressful and quite unnatural for the animals.

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
Which is why this method has always seemed strange to me. Can it be a good thing long term to selectively starve off the very evolutionary adaptation that enables corals to exist in the 1st place----the symbiosis with zoox? Even if you can selectively supplement the nutritional requirements via various potions and elixirs ( which it seems you can ) I can't help but think this is stressful and quite unnatural for the animals.

Its not starve off the corals its supplying the nutrients to the sps. If the sps are not getting the nutrients it needs the symbiotic zoo algae will appears and it will feed of that .

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: