Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I've had 2 seperate stealth kill my fish when they went bad. One got stuck on ON while I was at work, and I came home to fish soup.;( This occured about 5 years ago.
This could have been avoided with a controller.:(

The second no controller would have saved the fish as it just got a pinhole in it that leaked something into the tank which also killed 80% of my fish. This one just happened this past April. I have a thread somewhere on MR concerning this disaster.

I wish you all the best with your choice, but please do put them on some sort of controller.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
don't have any problems!! I have been using them for a while.

What's a while Reef Reaper? If you don't have your's on a controller already, I highly recommend it.

Coming home to your price Lion Fish that you housed for years, and raised from a 2" baby to a 10" beauty floating in a tank whose water couldn't even be measured by the tank thermometer is not the best!

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
The built in controller in all heaters will FAIL, some sooner than others.

External controllers like a Neptune controllers, Reef Keeper, and Ranco are much more reliable. You can get a fairly sophisticated light timer and temperature controller like RKLite for around a hundred dollars, really hard to beat that.

I like titanium encased heater element better, no seals or glass to break.

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
ReefReaper, any heater can malfunction!;) I just recommend controllers for them, and constant inspections to try and wurd off any nightmares like the ones I have been through.:(

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I have been using them in my cichlid tanks for several years and never had a a problem. I like how it has that plastic design and is unbreakable. I had 1 in my tank with my monsters as well and when you have softball size silver dollars darting back and forth like torpedoes slamming into it it's good because if it was glass I would have to replace a heater once a week! Not to mention I had large severums ,parrots and other big aggressive fish and they would get routty! Never had an issue I use them on most of my tanks.1 time when I was doing a water change I had shut my strip off when I needed the light I turned it back on and forgot the damn heater was plugged in..it was running dry for a few hours I smelled something burning and couldn't figure out what the hell it was..then I realized it was my heater melting my container of cichlid buffer! lol and still it works like brand new. It's luck of the draw with anything you buy..some people buy a car and have issues with it w/in the 1st 2 weeks, another person could buy that same car and never have an issue. Some people smoke and get cancer in 10-20 years..some of them live to be 100. Ya never know. IMO it's a pretty damn good heater..I know alot of heaters if they are run dry you can toss them cuz they blow up. Plus like I said it's shatterproof unlike a magority of heaters which are glass.

1 last little tid bit especially for newbies. If you are using ANY heater in sump be careful with placement because it will melt your sponge!

johnsonlee42

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I have two stealth heaters in my tank, but I keep both controlled with my Reef Keeper Lite. They're pretty new and I have had good experiences with Visitherm in the past, but it puts my mind at ease =X

NYC Joe

Seahorses yea!
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
With all the money we all spend on our tanks, I would recommend a controller.
Maybe a reefkeeper lite. thats what i just got.

But in all honesty its not a matter of if, but when.
and they do fail.
for a crappy 30-50$ heater you can and may ruin a $5-500,000 tank.
Kinda like idiot insurance.

My 2 cents
-Joe

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: