AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Is anyone using an ORP meter? How useful is it, because I read that you can really see when your water is declining in quality and when you should do water changes. What are some other advantages of checking the ORP?

seahunt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I have been monitoring my orp for about a year now and I think it's a waste if you not running ozone.. If you do you water changes, keep pars in check you won't really see a change..
Since i started using the socting oxydator I haven't seen it move it stays at 375.. I don't do water changes either, I have no real need to with my denitrifier with phosphate option..

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
even if you ran ozone it flux's some, i got the monitor free so figure i might as well use it and kinda nice knowing where orp is, also if i turn my skimmer off it drops a decent amount

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
375 without variation?

Never saw or heard that, you need to calibrate it, mine goes up and down all the time depending on water conditions.

My oxygen levels are most likely higher than yours and more stable also... I calibrated a while back it I should probably do it again.. My oxydator is my alternative to ozone so It can't be to far off.. my oxygen levels at 12 on the salifert kit.. I've tested several other systems without oxydators and the level was around 6 through 8... Don't hate Oxidate,,lmao just messing with you.. I thought ab out ozone for a while but after weighing the pros and cons oxidator did more with less possible harm..

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I have had one for about a year and it's always between 275 and 375. After a water change, the number goes down to around 275. a week after the water change, it's 375. I Dont use ozone.

What else are you running??(ie phosban, carbon, purigen..)

I run phosban and purigen from time to time.. Depending on if I will be feeding the fish mysis alot..
One fill of phosban usually last me a very long time..

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
a large skimmer will definately keep orp higher, doing a few others changes it also, i have my drain about 1/4" off water level so i get some airiation that way as well and my phos and carbon reactors about 1\2" off water level for a little more oxydation. easy to see which one makes the biggest difference by sumpmercing each one at a time and waiting a little while to check levels and quick to tell diff when skimmer is shut off, had really thought of running ozone as well but there's a few things that can go wrong, not that isnt the case with any other piece of equipt also, but if not done proper ozone can be un-safe not only to tank but to people running tank

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I had really thought of running ozone as well but there's a few things that can go wrong, not that isnt the case with any other piece of equipment. If not done properly ozone can be un-safe not only to tank but to people running tank
That was my only concern the kiddies.. Also I only have one floor.. No basement to vent the gases if the carbon goes bad before I notice and/or if that smell comes up before I'm home..

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
You can read mine in this picture, it was at 444, it is usually at about 350.
I use ozone.

skimmer002.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: