ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
warning! so those little asterina stars!! ate one of my rasta zonathids!

:irked: anyway have had them for yrs and i have one ate a purple hornet and yesterday i come home, turn ligghts on and the mofo is on a rasta polyp he ate.. all the rastas were fine and open the day b4 (im always looking at my zoos)''

maybe it was lack of food for the stars.. but i think i may get rid of them...

(well these are tiny star fish, i'll take some pix, not sure of exact name)

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Asterina stars

I'm sorry Andre, that really stinks, a very expensive meal.

Get a Harlequin shrimp or 2 (different sexes or they wil kill each other), they will wipe out the asterinas.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thanks for the warning! Sorry to hear about your Zoa :( at least you noticed immediately and can now solve the problem.

Great pics Kathy - those will help if I ever have the unfortunate displeasure of hosting the little fellas.

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
thanx man, i really like the little stars too, i never really see them on zoos and i have a lot.. but i guess when they want they eat them!

will the harl shrimps stay alive after they eat all the stars?

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
They should do okay with high flow. (depending on what you mean by that.) mine were fine in a 45 cube with 2 mp10s. They might favour your asterinas. If your sand sifter is out a lot it could be consumed though. Its a risk. I have a serpent star and he's been fine for over a year. He's quicker than most stars though.

Once the asterinas run out you will need tp buy more stars.

Im assuming they dont do well with high flow? And will they favor asterinas over my sand sifter?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
When those star fish get big enough they will and can eat a whole polyp of zoas.

They don't need to be big, as small as the ones are in the pic - THOSE are the ones that eat zoa polyps.

Andre - My Harleys never bother with my sepent stars (about 2 years now) . After they do in you population of asterinas you can easily feed them either an entire chocolate chip starfish, or cut the leg off of a chocolate chip star and feed them that, leaving the rest of the star in your sump until they need the next meal.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: