• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
I figure I would relay some information. I was chatting with Bulk Reef Supply. They mentioned that the current configuration for GFO in their GFO reactor would not be good for NP Bio Pellets because the sponges in the unit will clog.

They mentioned in a short time ( couple of weeks or so ), they will be having available a slip in similar to the present slip in for this unit, that will be good for solid vodka dosing with NP Bio Pellets, etc.

For me, I am hoping they will be developing a video on this configuration. I like their education products.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
More importantly, when will the be offering their bulk pricing on their own Biopellets?

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

bigyankfan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
Larry,

I have been "speaking" to Felix at Aloha Tropics and I asked him similar questions - here is his response:

Hi Eric, there are few differences that I can explain. Biopellets MUST fully tumble in the reactor. This is the reason why the Vertex UF reactor is one of the only ones that work with it. The inlet and outlet on most reactors are too small to create a full tumbling effect. This leaves dead zones. The dead zones create anaerobic bacteria which causes many of the problems people have when using the pellets. Regular reactors have only been known to work when modified with a heavy high head pump. Also, if you have more than 300ml of pellets, the inlet will not provide a wide enough flow.

HTH.

Eric

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Larry,

I have been "speaking" to Felix at Aloha Tropics and I asked him similar questions - here is his response:

Hi Eric, there are few differences that I can explain. Biopellets MUST fully tumble in the reactor. This is the reason why the Vertex UF reactor is one of the only ones that work with it. The inlet and outlet on most reactors are too small to create a full tumbling effect. This leaves dead zones. The dead zones create anaerobic bacteria which causes many of the problems people have when using the pellets. Regular reactors have only been known to work when modified with a heavy high head pump. Also, if you have more than 300ml of pellets, the inlet will not provide a wide enough flow.

HTH.

Eric

I dont think that is 100% true, I have 2 diffrent reactors and there is no dead spots and i can adjust flow with my ball valve, maybe he ment there are some diffrent pumps that might not be that strong to tuble the bio pellets in some reactors?.
I own a MR1 and precision marine with no problem tuble all of 1000ml bio pellets.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
One thing about the BRS over the 2 little fishes, is product quality. Totally, top notch heavy duty tubing, ball valve, no leaking, etc.

I bought a 2 little fishes, and it leaked right out of the box and was told, not to trust it HOB with out being placed in the sump.

My BRS is huge ( size of RO/DI module ), very bulky, and heavy. However, made very well top notch quality.

I can't imagine that it would have a problem, with pump being not powerful. But, I have not tried the new skin fitting....

What BRS said, is that with it's GFO skin, it has sponges, that's why it would clog. A NP bio pellets skin fitting, will not have sponges to clog...

So I guess, we wait till it comes out and review it...

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
if you run sponges with bio pellets they will clog i removed my sponges and made plastic disc in place of the sponge. larry i try both you will not get what your looking for out of brs reactor go with the two little fishes one and a maxi jet 1200 it will worj perfect for you

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
I've been using a tlf reactor for months with no leaking issues. I tried using npx pellets before but the pump on the tlf was not strong enough and I ended up with dead zones (and H2S buildup). I started again but with a stronger pump and the media has great tumbling action. This is just day two for me but I haven't had a ph drop.

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I use the Pentair Aquatics fluidized filter reactor.
fluidizedfilterontanksmall.jpg

tumbles all 1000ml with no prob
phosphates are steady at 0.02

Video of tumble

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
maxi jet 1200 works well for me same set up here
I've been using a tlf reactor for months with no leaking issues. I tried using npx pellets before but the pump on the tlf was not strong enough and I ended up with dead zones (and H2S buildup). I started again but with a stronger pump and the media has great tumbling action. This is just day two for me but I haven't had a ph drop.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Dr. Harry,

Your thread, is the one, that got me thinking. I saw your reactor, and figured I would use my BRS. So at the moment, I have to think which reactor to go with. Obviously, I already have a BRS, but I saw your Pentair. Does your Pentair leak. Can it hang on tank, any feedback on this unit.

I really do not want to go with TLF. However, if I do not use the BRS, I may purchase something else.

Thanks guys for your input..

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Dr. Harry,

Your thread, is the one, that got me thinking. I saw your reactor, and figured I would use my BRS. So at the moment, I have to think which reactor to go with. Obviously, I already have a BRS, but I saw your Pentair. Does your Pentair leak. Can it hang on tank, any feedback on this unit.

I really do not want to go with TLF. However, if I do not use the BRS, I may purchase something else.

Thanks guys for your input..

Hi Seldin,
I had my reactor almost 7 yrs, no leaks and its capable of hanging off the tank. Thats how i have it on my sump. I would use the BRS if available I hear its a good reactor.

Harry

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: