• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

ecchybridLE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I'v noticed for a while that my sand bed is fairly compacted especially towards the front of the tank where there is a little less sand then every where else.I mean I have a wrasse in the tank, and it can burrow so it's not concrete. the sand closests to the front of the tank has cyano bloom and dino bloom. Like to note I have sone Dino on my glass as well, and not on rocks.

Any ideas why the sand would be compacted as so? Maybe the sand I used being new to the hobby over a year and a half ago. Think it was a mix of Carib live fine , and a dry bag of large grain underneath. Maybe I need to add or change out the sand?

Tank specs
90 dt
30g sump
30g fuge

Alk 9 - 9.5
Calc 430
Ph 8.2 - 8.3

Want to note I just set up calcium reactor and am dialing it in now. Will be taking more test more often and have better overall view if my tank params soon

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Last edited:

ecchybridLE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Also , as I can remember to is that i was having to add a good amount of alk almost daily to keep levels up. Could this be a cause of the sand being depleted of calcium carbonate? Throwing that out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Having your mag levels high/low will cause your calcium to turn into calc carb. And yes you were dosing alot of alk because of that. If your dosing way more alk than calc its one of the first signs your mag is off and there is a problem with the way calc breaks down.

Even with the correct levels though your sand tends to soak up some calcium carbonate over time so it might just be that.

What are you dosing, when, how much, what do you have in your tank. ect. You know what to fill in for us to help you more.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: