jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Shaun, Dave, and whoever else may know.....What is the difference between the rust we use to lower phosphates and the rust found inside mags, rios, and other pumps that kill your tank?
I actually think I'm going through this rust issue again, only with a tunze osmalator pump :(

Need Input!!!

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Rich, I just got home, and am in no state to answer such a question. Tomorrow I will give you a detailed description. However, as a preview, it comes down to the different forms of iron, i.e. ferrious and ferric. One is toxic to living things and one isn't. The phosphate binding iron compound is iron in the non-toxic state, while metal that rusts and releases iron into your tank water is iron in the toxic state.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
BTW, get the pump out of your tank ASAP! What are you waiting for if you even suspect it is rusting out in your tank.

We missed you tonight, sorry you couldn't make it.

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
hey is the tunze osmolator? steve has a very expensive pump and really reliable ones that big company uses as well, and that thing rusted badly. IM starting to think most of these pumps are really saltwater pumps =/

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
DSCN1249.jpg

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
An RC member "grim" had a pic of this pump totally covered in rust and oil and also had a pic of a copper test kit with a reading through the roof! When I asked him about it, he deleted the pics....

mshur

Rating - 99.3%
294   2   1
rich,
i told u last nite...send this pump back to roger. he will re-place it. but,what is the warranty that the new one is not gonna rust?:((((

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Tunze generally make good/reliable products.
See what Roger says.
Many people use their pumps, so i wouldnt expect this to occur with all their pumps, could just be a deffective one.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
jackson6745 said:
An RC member "grim" had a pic of this pump totally covered in rust and oil and also had a pic of a copper test kit with a reading through the roof! When I asked him about it, he deleted the pics....

that's strange.

what is onr the Q-tip does not look like rust.

that could be the O-ring or gasket degrading in the salt water. I've seen that before, but so not know if it's harmful. Get it fixed regardless.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Jhale it does not appear to be rust more like some sort of oil. The SPS started acting "funny" since I noticed the pump becoming loud. I noticed small white spots on the tip of acros, some stn here and there, and poor night time polyp extension. The same thing happen when the mag drive fried my tank (mag drive was much worse)........and the water quality was where I want it to be.

Albert, you're right, Tunze products are usually high quality but I did a search on osmolators and many people seem to have problems with the pump failing. I don't care about spending $20 every 6 months to replace a pump but I don't want to continue to use the osmolator with the same pump if this could happen. Maybe i could use an ehem pump?? I'll have to ask Roger.

Mike it sucks because I like how precise and reliable the sensors are on the osmolator but this pump really is ghetto. For the money spent on this thing it should come with a better pump.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
would trace amounts of copper kill snails? I also noticed quite a few have died.

Anyone have a salifert copper testkit that I could borrow for 1 test?

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
jackson6745 said:
would trace amounts of copper kill snails? I also noticed quite a few have died.
I would expect that it would.
jackson6745 said:
Anyone have a salifert copper testkit that I could borrow for 1 test?
I am pretty sure that I do, but need to look when I get home.

I would do a water change and run polyfilter/fresh carbon if I were you Rich.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Thanks Shaun.

Running carbon now and making new RO/DI for WC in case my reservoir is contaminated. I have to pick up some polyfilters.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: