brandon429

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
--

This is by far the most positive response thread Ive been on for peroxide, most people are vehemently against it (just like they were pico reefs in 2001 lol) but you guys had been using it long enough its really not that new of a thing I can see.

My local fish store keeps gallons of 3% handy for blackouts, for the 02 support and it was used like this in freshwater aquacultures since the 50's

In some cases the tank really doesn't have excess nutrients, it just has some algae. Or it may have nutrient-unrelated pests such as red brush algae, string diatoms etc (bad hitchhikers)

this is where peroxide really shines, as an external dip treatment for these bad guys.

brandon429

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he told me he just added some, a guesstimate. it was dual 180 gallon display reefs, he said he chose to add some when the fish were swimming at the surface and the corals looked like the had some sliming going on.

lfs owner said he does the same for fw, just dump some in each tank if the power looks like it will be off long enough to be concerned.

Although we can't be sure it was the critical link in his systems, I was most helped by the info that it didn't kill anything in his tank...

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I have been battling some kind of brown colored alge.
After reading this thread, and link to r2r thread, I am giving it a try.
Dosing 1ml/10gal of peroxide 3% started on 7/3
I will post some results if I see any.

The Alge that I have looks rather light in density, and it slowly grows over a coral smothers it. I have it in my grow out system. Strange thing is that it is only growing in the grow out tank, and not in a holding tank that I have some fish in on the same system holding has 1 250mh versus 4 400mh+ 4vho atinics. I have to keep taking out the tunzes and eggcrate to clean, and feel it is a losing battle. Tank was running great for about 9 months then things started to change.. I use rodi never see more tan .01tds on the ouput. I test for po4, and nitrates that seem to come up un detectable. I am currently doing 2 50g water changes a month on 320 gallons of water that is in my system.

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
How long have you been using it? and when you say regular is that once a day once a week and at what dose?

i have been using it for abt 8 months in my 40g system(55g sump) and the system has never been stronger, cleaner, or healthier..

as far as regular its once a day, where in the begining i was doing 1mL for every 10g now i just do a 5mL dose so its abt 60%

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
i have been using it for abt 8 months in my 40g system(55g sump) and the system has never been stronger, cleaner, or healthier..

as far as regular its once a day, where in the begining i was doing 1mL for every 10g now i just do a 5mL dose so its abt 60%

After reading this whole thread it seam like the problems only arise when people amp up the dose and for a longer time, I'm giving it a try a 1ml per 10g for 4 weeks to see if it helps with some green algae on my back glass, I've read and heard good things and bad.
I've also read where if used long enough you will notice a yellowish sluge on your water :-/
Let's see :)

Fix Your Fin Or Get Your Fin Fixed!

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
ive never had any yellow sludge on my water... you still do need to do regular water changes.. if you dont who knows what the real long term effect will be.. but my tank gets 30% every 4 weeks..

and i know a guy that has used it every day for 5 yrs.. no issues ever..

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Day 4

I am not noticing any visual changes.
I do notice my PH has raised slightly, and that my ORP which is typically between 435mv to 450mv, drops to the low 200 range when I dose, and it gradually comes back to normal levels before the next daily dose.

Last edited:

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
There were a few questions about bio pellets and H2o2 dosing. The reason there are no adverse affects is because it kills off the bacteria in the tank and since the bio pellets are fueling the bacteria the only thing you will notice is a decrease in bio pellet use during the dosing period.

Im going to start dosing H2o2 in my tank today. I have no algae growth in my display since it really likes my frag tank. I'll throw up before and after pictures.

tlpmyd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I started dosing 36ml to my 350G system 3 days ago and haven't seen much difference yet especially in my frag/holding tank. I'm going to keep dosing the same amount and keep my figers crossed but how long can I keep dosing 36ml a day ?? I've also been doing 20% wc weekly.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

SPotter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I've been dosing 5ml per day for the last week and didnt see much improvement. I decided to dip my zoa's and acans in it and that worked right away with no ill effects on the acans. i used a syringe to spot spray it on frag plugs for the rest of corals in my frag tank and that has worked as well.

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
day6
Not much to note overall other than my PH seems to be a bit higher than usual.

I did notice one thing. My 60 gallon holding tank usually has to have alge scraped from the teeth in the overflow on a every couple of days bases, and today there was none to scrape. Hoping this be the beginning of the effects of the peroxide........

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
last night, I moved some coral around in my grow out tank, removed 4-2'x2' pieces of eggcrate one at a time, scrubbed them down removing alge that was growing on them, got them back into the tank, and re arranged my coral. With a toothbrush, I cleaned around the bases of some frag plugs that were in the system. It seemed to come off a bit easier than the previous time.

dosing 1ml/10 gallons

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
was out of town for two weeks, had a family member dose every other day while I was away, so the tank got 1/2 of what should have been dosed. So far things seem to be improving a bit. I did notice that tank glass had no build up on it over the two weeks that I was away, and some areas that had heavy cover of alge seem to be reducing.

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
I WAS Dosing for 5 days......
1mil per 10g
Water looked better it wiped out the diatom bloom I was having in about 2 days..... Sand looked almost brand new :). Didn't notice much on a green algae I have growing In a section of the back glass. I know it takes time but I had to stop the Dosing :-/
I don't know if it was the heat or the Dosing but: my RBTA,hammers, frogspawn, are all opening up but not as before..... They look almost half there size :-/
So I did a 35g water change in my 90g and won't give it another shot until the winter where I can tell what it was.

Btw: looking for chaeto lol :)

Fix Your Fin Or Get Your Fin Fixed!

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
It has been about a month, and I seem to be having good results. Anything that was light brown and fuzzy has not grown back. Thicker green alge, needed to be pulled off by hand, or brush, and also does not seem to be growing back.

The only thing I have not done has been a mid month water change that I normally do. This month (August) I will begin doing wc's as previous schedule. 50 gal beginning of month, and 50 gallon middle of month. I am also planning on continued dosing..

updates to follow....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: