motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
just figured id get some of your experiences or what you know abt it..

I had a small algae issue and I dosed my system with hydrogen peroxide at 1ml per 10gallons...
Not only did my algae issues clear up in a few days my water quality improved and became crystal clear. i did it for abt 3 weeks and stopped abt 3 days ago.. i noticed polyp extension was intense and more noticeable even during times they were not normally open..

i also noticed that in my sump, which i never pay attention too, that my cheato was full of dead pods... im assuming its from the h2o2, but not sure.. there was still an abundant amount moving around but the larger ones were very obvious and visible..

has anyone else used this? Anyone know the effect on copepods or other micro organisms in the reef? any long term effects? positive or negative.. and is do people dose this over a long period of time or just a few days/weeks?

hopefully this will start a nice conversation...

I've considered dosing it because I was introduced to a product called a Sochting Oxydator from Tobin and I didn't want to spend the money on the reactor and I read dosing was an alternative. I did also read that if not dosed properly, it can be harmful to your system. It's supposed to follow a dosing schedule similar to vodka dosing as far as I had understood. Anyways, I don't think I would try dosing it just because I did read it can be bad to a system so I will eventually buy this H2O2 reactor. I was going to do a group buy sort of thing because you can only get them from Europe so more people meant less shipping but I had only one person interested (Alfie) which I will eventually order with in the near future. I did use a reactor on my old 75 and it seemed to bring good to the tank but once I ran out of H2O2 I never refilled it and it was the end of that. Here's the link to the thread I had started about the H2O2 reactor http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/general-discussion/93804-sochting-oxydator.html

It's funny because I went to Alfie's house today and we were talking about this H2O2 dosing

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I've used 3% HP for some Dinoflagellates few months back. Same dosage as you for about 6-8 days, and completely gone. Stopped since dinos are gone... big thread by Troylee on other reef forum.

ecchybridLE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I started dosing peroxide after seeing thread from member on r2r. I thought i had a dyno bloom. I personally didn't feel it was that affective and it left an insane amount of bubbles on my rock. Probably from it was attactching onto algae on the rock. Didn't see much stress on system , but decided to not continue. I releaved the algae problem with emralds. I think in the future I would only use it as a dip for algae on frags. As far as water clarity I didn't think it did anything that carbon can't.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
i just read the R2R thread.. i thought it was pretty good, and backed what i have seen in my system.. i did notice a bump in my water clarity and more open polyps on all my corals..

but the one thing that doesnt seem to be answered is the effect on pods..

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
i just read the R2R thread.. i thought it was pretty good, and backed what i have seen in my system.. i did notice a bump in my water clarity and more open polyps on all my corals..

but the one thing that doesnt seem to be answered is the effect on pods..

Do you have that link, I'd be interested in reading it.

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
anytime, let me know what you think... id really love to hear abt other peoples exsperiences, or even PRATTREEF(yes calling you out brother) if there has been any research on it.. i know it raises saturated o2 levels, and tangs suposedly benifit from it, and zoas do amazing from being diped in it..

most do a tank dose daily of 1ml to 10gallons of actual water volume, some have done higher but it wasnt recomended.. others have used it as a dipping agent at a 50/50 mix of 3%h202 and tankwater for up to 30 min for most corasls but have noted some degredation of sps when dipped for even 30 seconds..

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I tried it for a while on my 75 thats was mostly softies, zoas and lps. I had some algae and wanted to test the results. I dosed 1ml for every 10 gals and then stepped up to 5ml/10gal. I did it for about a week. I noticed that the algae receeded and my corals looked great. I then noticed a bacterial bloom on the 7th day and havent dosed since. I didnt notice any affect on pods or anything else. I dont think I would treat a whole system again but I would dip frags in a 50/50 solution to get rid of algae.

Last edited:

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
After reading trylees thread about H202 i tried it for dynos also and it works, and works well. 1ML per 10 gallons of water and in about 6 days you will notice it starts to clear by 10-15 days all gone.

I use H202 to dip plugs that might get some algae growth with no problems either.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I read a lot about it on another site I've been battling nusance alage for a while so i decided to try it I'm on my 3rd day and have to say My sps look great and tank seems to be looking better every day I only dosed half recommended dose
I wouldn't dip sps with it I tried 2 frags for a min both died my zoa frag that wouldn't open seems better

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
yea it all seems to be the consensus... i stopped dosing abt 3 days ago, after dosing for abt 2 weeks.. i did notice tonight when i got home that there was some brown blooms on my glass.. i wonder if i dosed too much or too long, causing the system to be stripped of benificial bacteria and causing a mini diatom bloom..but overall health of the corals and fish seem to never be better..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: