bonomo53

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
So my tank was doing great, till about june when i started losing coral. I lost some sps colonies to rtn, lost a few chalices and now my acans and sps colonies are slowly receding from the base up. I cant figure out what the problem is my params are all in check. I dose cal and alk every night and have been doing this for around 9 months now and haven't had a problem until this so don't think it can be an alk swing. I haven't lost any fish just coral. Only thing i can think of is that my t5s haven't been changed in about 11 months. But don't think that has anything to do with it.

Alk 9.6 Dkh
cal 450
mag 1500
ph 7.9-8.1
phos .25
salinity 1.027

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
What 2 part are you dosing and what is your water change schedule?

Also which salt are you using?

Your Mag is very high, do you run an ato?

Just fishing for ideas and trying to figure out why your Mag is so high.

Also, what test kit are you using?

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
How large is your tank?

Do you dose on water change day?

I'm trying to find a swing in your parameters. Red Sea pro (which I use) has high trace elements and if your dosing on your water change day you could easily be swinging your alk. (Figured I would ask)

Another thing I would suggest is testing your freshly mixed salt parameters. Last week I checked a fresh batch of 24 hour mixed Red Sea pro salt and got a value of what seemed to be 16, i tested multiple times...

Which on my 20 gallon tank would have caused a major swing. Some larger tanks not so much.

How much are you dosing daily?

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
Ur sp is better at 1.25 and 33ml in one shot is a bit much In one shot imo if break its up in two half in the morning and half in evenly is proly better that how I dose my tank and its been working pretty good

selkoner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.4%
114   3   0
Stop dosing everyday there's no need for it if you useing Red Sea coral pro ... Dose red sea reef engery A&B

If you doing a Lil water change every week you replenish the basic stuff mag alk ect... I've been using that salt sins it came out best thing in the world !!!

I have a 45gl every two weeks I do 15-20gl and the week in between I dose reef energy A&B my coral have grown like crazy with no problem !! I have all Red Sea stuff don't even use it because I don't need it lol ...
umamebus.jpg
a4y5ura9.jpg

Before

uqynesuh.jpg

After

That's only 4mo using that salt !! New tank

Jarrett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
i dose alk and cal every day and have no problem keeping consistent params and my tank is sps dominated and i also use red sea pro salt so i agree with jonny that is not true at all. did you change flow at all? i noticed when i switched up the flow on mine, the corals that were getting to harsh of flow started to stn on me.

bonomo53

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
nope have not changed anything in the tank.. figuing out on how to setup the dosers to dose though out the day with my apex. Think i figured it out but if anyone can double check these for me i would appreciate it.

Alk
Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/003:45/056:15 Then ON
If Time 05:05 to 21:59 Then OFF
If pH > 08.20 Then OFF

ca
Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/003:45/056:15 Then ON
If Time 16:05 to 08:59 Then OFF

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
i was having high po2 a couple months ago. maybe 2 months so i started using that red sea stuff. it was amazing dropped the po4 and i was like WOW. 2 weeks went by and 3 pieces started stning. i figured it was that stuff so i stopped and they all healed right back up. dont use that stuff. it will probably be great for a fowler or maybe a softie lps but not for a reef with sps

jpellica

AKA Fraghunter
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
dont brake it up stop dosing for a couple of weeks I think you have way to any trace elements in your tank and your actually overdosing things you can check if you are doint weekly water change then you really dont need to dose unless you have a heavly stocked sps tank. I would do a 20 gallon water cahnge this weekl to balance all the trace back into balance and dont dose for at least a month. after this week 20 gallon change go back to your 5 gallon a week. take it really slow and paramteres will setle out Dosing all in 1 shot shocks your corals. ALS get an auto top off if you dont already have 1.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: