BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
Maybe the problem is the dual reactor. It is time consuming to change out and clogs from time to time.

I'm running a next reef reactor and it's so much easier. I no longer procrastinate doing it.

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I run a carbon reactor and change it once a month. It doesn't seem like a lot of work to me though, it takes me literally 10 minutes to change. I soak the carbon in RO water the day before and have it rinsed before swapping it and I also have a spare pair of sponges for the reactor so it makes it so much easier. Also running a biopellet reactor so no work on that one just set it and forget it. Hope this helps.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
It all depends on ur set up I finally bought a house and installed a huge slop sink so I will change my gfo/carbon once a week when I was in my co op I had to wait for a night when my wife was out to clean my reactors etc in our kitchen sink

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cleaning of the gfo is why i took it off if you have any algae you can throw it on or consistent or high phosphates. I had the Two Little Fishies and i hate cleaning it out to change the gfo i was thinking of picking up the brs one if i ever need to put it back on looks easy to swap out the gfo.

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
IMO the easiest reactor to use for GFO and carbon is GEO. It doesn't have that tube that runs down the middle and it can be drained from the top and bottom. It's pricey but it makes it so much easier to change out the media and it is a task that needs t be done regularly.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
This is kind of an old thread, but you don't need to use a reactor for carbon or GFO. I use both, but instead of a reactor I use a fine mesh bag. Works well and is easy to change.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
This is kind of an old thread, but you don't need to use a reactor for carbon or GFO. I use both, but instead of a reactor I use a fine mesh bag. Works well and is easy to change.

I have a BRS reactor but haven't installed it as yet because I'm planning some major upgrades and wanted to wait. But I've been on hold for over a month now.
Can you tell more about the mesh bags you used?
I did try a bag with phospure a while ago and it made a mess in my sump. I had to take out and clean my skimmer, pumps, etc.
I now have new BRS GFO media and would like to try the mesh bag again as a temp solution. But I don't want a repeat of what happened the last time.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: