james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I cant take it anymore! the maintenance on the reactors is driving me nuts. I have been doing reading and alot of people only run GFO once and a while when needed. I have been running both on my system since day one.

Do I need to run GFO/Carbon all the time or can I take them off? any negative effects from doing this?

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I think you need to look at why...if you've been running since day one, then have you measured your phosphates? Take thebgfo offline and monitor... For carbon...it's preventative...take it offline if you don't feel it's necessary, take it off. I like it because it makes the water sooo clear :)

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
Maybe ill substitute the gfo for phosban, iv heard good things about it.

I have the dual reactor so I don't exactly want to leave one empty and the other for carbon

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Phosban is a brand of GFO(one of many).

Unless you mean converting over to bio pellets. Does your system have high nitrates and phosphates if the GFO and carbon is taken off?

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
phosban is a type of GFO that has other addidtives in it, I have been running pure GFO.

I have always ran the GFO so im not sure what my nitrates would be like if I didnt run it. I would think very low because my tank is still considered clean and I keep up with W/C. I am also bare bottom so that helps. I have never had issues with my nitrates so far

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
phosban is a type of GFO that has other addidtives in it, I have been running pure GFO.

I have always ran the GFO so im not sure what my nitrates would be like if I didnt run it. I would think very low because my tank is still considered clean and I keep up with W/C. I am also bare bottom so that helps. I have never had issues with my nitrates so far

GFO removes phosphates, not nitrates

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James

phosban is a type of GFO that has other addidtives in it, I have been running pure GFO

No it does not. All the GFO in this hobby is pretty much pure. There are no so called additives. Almost all of the GFO in this hobby is made by one company. The difference is grain size, shape and porosity. The other sold has a different crystal structure and is hydrated. A 3rd is poly coated spherical bead GFO, which is better than all of them.

JT101

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running BRS ROX 0.8 carbon and BRS High-Capacity GFO in two separate TLF reactors for about a year now. I try to change both every 3 weeks, sometimes 4 if I get lazy. I don't think I would ever want to stop using either! At least for me, I think a tank needs all the help it can get - it's a closed system with a miniscule amount of water that its inhabitants normally live in.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: