njreef

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, i have been battling green hair algae and few other types of algae. Fauna Marine's Ultra Algae X seems to work great for me in getting rid of algae but they keep coming back. Now i am researching the source for phosphate into the tank. Tested the source water for phosphates and this is what I found:

Tap water: 1.23
RODI water storage: 0.09
Saltwater Mix storage: 0.11

(All tests by Hanno photometer)

The RODI filters are about 10 months old and I just got a replacement. What else can I do to get to the 0 phosphates?

njreef

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run a phos reactor or some sort of media?

I use the BRS deluxe reactor and regularly use GFO. I also use a Biopellet reactor.

Note that as recent as couple of months ago, I have had 0.05 phosphates. only the last couple of months the phosphates are way off charts and I got the GHA outbreak.

njreef

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water changes are usually once in two weeks. GFO once a month.

I have a feeling that the phosphates are coming from the water I add to the aquarium. Looking for ideas how to get rid of it.

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
I had this issue also. I could not rid my rodi water of trace amounts of po4. Honestly it was easier to run HC GFO and just worry about the tank water parameters. The most po4 is introduced into the water column through feeding anyway. If you are having a po4 problem look into your feeding and nutrient export methods.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this issue also. I could not rid my rodi water of trace amounts of po4. Honestly it was easier to run HC GFO and just worry about the tank water parameters. The most po4 is introduced into the water column through feeding anyway. If you are having a po4 problem look into your feeding and nutrient export methods.

True get some macro algae growing if you can

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
If you can get rodi phos low or 0 do a waterchange and test the next day..I found my live rock was leaching phos. So now I am changing the media in phos reactor once a week it gets used fast but I use a less amount I will keep doing till no more phos is comming from the rocks.If you cant pinpoint the problem,mabe you have the same thing going on also.I think the rock sucked up phos I was not on top of changing the media and tried to eye ball the tank and see some algae it would be time to change but phos crept up on me ..Should have stuck to once a month,lesson learned.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Try a different bucket or clean your containers out. You could also test 24 hours later and see if levels rise. Also the hanna meters are +/- some factor so you may want to check that because you may in fact be ok. Not sure the variation on it.

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I had the same problem I'm using the same rodi from brs and also the Hanna checked my storage water and the rodi phos was high so I email brs they told me that I will not get a zero reading from the rodi but I was still getting a crazy reading from the Hanna so u went and got a Red Sea phos test and I tested my DT with both test like five times each the RS was .02-.04 Hanna was 49 or more the Hanna was wrong. But at the end of it all the problem for the out break was carbon now I change it every two weeks.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: