lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Also at that amt of drop its ok to let it stabilize. Monitor it and resume your normal water change routine for a bit and see if its steady or still on the rise each week. Make sure everything gets well used to the lower levels.

sun1914

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Update

A month ago my Nitrate was @ 80, after 2 weeks of large water changes (10g) twice a week and then 2 weeks of large water changes (8-9g) once a week, I am pleased to say I have gotten my Nitrate down to 10 ppm as of today. Posted my results below. Testing with API Kit, I'm told its the most accurate but its what I have for now. Thank you to all that gave me advance and encouragement. Much appreciated
Will continue to work to getting to 5 ppm and lower but my goal was 10 and so I'm happy :spin:

Now what can I do about lowering my phosphate?

11/02/2013
Water Tested
Results:
SG 1.025
High Range pH 8.3
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 10 ppm
Calcium 460
Phosphate .025 ppm

Dimitrios91

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A month ago my Nitrate was @ 80, after 2 weeks of large water changes (10g) twice a week and then 2 weeks of large water changes (8-9g) once a week, I am pleased to say I have gotten my Nitrate down to 10 ppm as of today. Posted my results below. Testing with API Kit, I'm told its the most accurate but its what I have for now. Thank you to all that gave me advance and encouragement. Much appreciated
Will continue to work to getting to 5 ppm and lower but my goal was 10 and so I'm happy :spin:

Now what can I do about lowering my phosphate?

11/02/2013
Water Tested
Results:
SG 1.025
High Range pH 8.3
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 10 ppm
Calcium 460
Phosphate .025 ppm

Water changes will help everything especially the phosphate issue. When was the last time you changed out your chemipure and purigen. If left for to long, both can release back into the water what you pulled out. Depending on the amount of dirtiness within the tank will also determine the amount of time it takes to deplete both products. Anything that will trap and hold detritus, food waste particles, are perfect sources for nitrate increases.

Dimitrios91

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
They have both been in a little over a month.
With the amount of water changes I did do you think it's tine to replace already? I thought every 4-5 months.

Sent from my HTCONE using Reefs

Granular Ferric Oxide is a hit and miss issue when it comes to knowing when it's time. Which is what both products are with extra stuff added like carbon etc. It kinda seems unlikely but from the way you were describing the mess, who knows. Do you have GHA ? Also how did you test the phos levels ? GHA will hide levels of phos since it uses it to live.

sun1914

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Am getting some green algae on the glass here and there. And I am starting to get some reddish purple on the rocks looks like coraline algae but coral is new to me so I'm really not sure but we'll see soon enough I guess.

Sent from my HTCONE using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: