BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
I was priming my pump and accidentally left it on and left for work. I just got home and realized I pumped 500ml of esv alk into my 110 gallon tank. Freaking out right now. What should I do!? How big of a water change should I do?

Yonkers28

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I've done that by mistake once with calcium and another time with alk.
I have a 80g with 30 g sump. I did a 50 g water change in one shot and all went well both times. One or two sps tips bleached but it came right back after a week or so.

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
how long ago did it stop pouring into your tank? you should have tested before you did a water change. then tested after you did a water change to see how much you dropped it. so then you would know how much to do again. and how much DKH will drop each water change. then check in the morning to see how much the corals sucked it up. then maybe another water change.

wish the best of luck bud.

Yonkers28

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Yes the whole 1 Gallon jug. It pumped from the morning to 6:30 pm when I got home from work. My tank looked like it snowed inside of it lol.
I quickly did a 30 g water change mixed some water then did another 20 g water change.
Fish and sps all lived no problem

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
Maybe you can dose some extra Cal into the tank and let it precipitate out the alk? I don't know how safe that is, just a thought. GL

Great idea. Thanks. The tank seems fine. The Sps actually seems to have more pe. I'm pretty sure the crisis has passed thanks for the help. My Hanna checker for alk and my red sea pro test kit are both at work. I used a three in one test strip I got from a convention at river head aquarium.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: