Samsreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
101   0   0
my friend, you are not new so I am sure you are aware of differences between calcium reactor setup and 2 part. to me dialing in with two part is so much easier....and by the way, if you have everything going for the tank, it should double in size in six month....increasing the dosage linearly is not possible with CA Rx...not to mention P and N that reactor adds to the setup exhausting GFO much faster.

having said that I am also interested in knowing if there are cheaper "tested" option than BRS. Although BRS has brought the cost down significantly.

Sam

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tony and others.

Tony:

Good job :) The stuff from Leslie is just renamed DOW Anhydrous Calcium Chloride. The MSDS is the same, only Leslie has taken the avg of the contaminates, rather than the actual range.

Others:
In regards to Dowflake

No, BRS is not adding anything, some are just misunderstanding what had happened. In 2007 or so BRS bought crap loads of Dowflake. In 2008 DOW announced they are discontinuing extracting the Bromide from the Dowflake which they then sold. This left us now with Bromide ~ 7,000 ppm rather than a 100 ppm or so. This is fine for most but NOT if you are running Ozone or are a heavy user of Dowflake. BRS continued to sell the good stuff with low Bromide. I will assume they have run out and why the comments were made not to use it. DOW has discontinued the manufacturing of Dowflake, which has been replace now with Dowflake Extra ( no Bromide).

A good alternative company was one I brought up when all this hope- de- lah was going on, Tetra Chemical.

Randy and I had a number of discussions on this and the impact it may have if one uses the high Bromide Dowflake. Mostly a using Ozone issues, which can be reversed with GAC and the lack of any knowledge what effect high Bromide may have, a unknown stil.

Manolo_AP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Hey Paul. I'm planning on dossing with baking soda and ice melter and Epsom salt just like you. Could you give me some info on how you put it in the tank? Dissolve in water and slow drip?
Also what brand of Epsom salt? The pharmacy by me sells the brand that comes in a green milk carton type box.
Thanks in advance.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0

MattyO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Dow Flake is a brand, produced in Michigan by a Texas based company.. Might be a retailer as the only direct distributor on Long Island is based in Lynbrook.

Have u looked at using Peladow? Made by the same company but has a high calcium content (90-93 vs Dow Flakes 83-87) and May have less bromide due to that.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: