Deep Dive Coral

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
So I was on bulk reef supply and I am confused. Can someone explain to me what the difference is between soda ash and sodium bicarbonate.

Also magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate.
Also what should be the calcium level coming out of your calcium reactor. Doesn't it ned to be equal to the level in your tank.
Thanks in advance.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Soda Ash = recipe 1 raises pH (more commonly used)

Sodium Bicarbonate = recipe 2 for people that do not want to raise pH.

Not sure what the diffference between the two magnesiums but the recipe calls for both.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
If you use magnesium sulfate by itself ( epson salt ) for a long period of time it will raise your sulphate levels.
Read this
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php

+1
However, Dr Farley explains at minimum 30% monthly water changes is sufficient to keep sulfates down to acceptable levels.

Great articles to read. I refer to them often to refresh.

Last edited:

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cam

Sorry here, I answered this by I guess I forgot to hit the submit button :eek:

Can someone explain to me what the difference is between soda ash and sodium bicarbonate.

Soda Ash = 2Na(CO3)
Baking Soda = NaHCO3

Note that one has CO3 and the other HCO3. CO3 in real chem terms is 2x more powerful that HCO3. In more reefer terms, if we add 1 tsp of SA we need to add 1.6 tsp of BS to get the same Alk. Most store bough buffer are mostly ~ 5-6 :1 BS and SA or 5-6 tsp BS and 1 tsp SA. SA has more impact on Alk and pH than BS. SA also adds more Na+ = Sodium to the system. If your issue has low Alk then BS, if it is a low pH and Alk then SA. If your system is low in pH but Alk OK then it is a CO2 issue and you should use neither but solve the CO2 issue. Buffers should NOT be used to boost pH. Meaning, if you have a pH issue it is NOT due to having a low Alk 99.9 % of the time.

These are two of the ways to add Calcium to your tank. The other two ways are Calcium reactors and Kalk.

Also what should be the calcium level coming out of your calcium reactor. Doesn't it ned to be equal to the level in your tank.

No, it must be higher or you will have a net lose. If your take your tank Calcium and reactor Calcium you can calculate the net gain. It is easier to use our calculators for this.

Calcium Reactor Contribution Calculator
http://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/CaRxContribution.php

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Doc, I was not paying attention on that thread and was thinking there are two ways to add Calcium

"These are two of the ways to add Calcium to your tank. The other two ways are Calcium reactors and Kalk."

Missed totally that ......Also magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate, which are not "Calcium reactors and Kalk" :lol:

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
No Doc, I was not paying attention on that thread and was thinking there are two ways to add Calcium

"These are two of the ways to add Calcium to your tank. The other two ways are Calcium reactors and Kalk."

Missed totally that ......Also magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate, which are not "Calcium reactors and Kalk" :lol:

yea lol I get ya!

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doc that should have been:

These are two of the ways to add Magnesium to your tank. The other way is to add 10 % by vol of Dolomite to a Calcium reactor to keep Mg++ up to levels but not to actually raise Mg++ levels.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is fine as long has you use the right ratio with Magnesium Chloride. You DO NOT want ot use just Magnesium Sulfate. For various reasons, Sulfate accumulates faster than the Chloride ion in seawater. And Sulfates are also much lower in seawater than Chloride. Proportional, over time, a system will lose more Chloride than Sulfate. For example, there is much more lost as "salt deposits" as Sodium Chloride from say salt spray and more Chloride in the skimmer "soup". The system is also more affected by the accumulation of Sulfate as it is much lower in seawater than Chloride i.e., 19,000 ppm vs 2,700 ppm

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: