jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
So, I started the pellets on friday, I got them to tumble very nicely in the way described above by others. I have checked all the parameters and no change yet. I know it takes awhile for the pellets to take affect. The reason I tested the water and tested for everything is because saturday morning when the lights came on my tank was a nightmare. Both my Green Stylo and Purple Stylo were dying. They are now completely dead even though I fragged what I could and put them in another tank. Since then I lost half of my ponape as well. Everything else looks ok for now. Looked in the tank with a flashlight this morning and the rest of the SPS looks ok. The only change made to my system was the pellets. I read on another site that some people also lost a few corals when they started pellets. Now I wish I would have not gone with them.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Eeech... how much pellets did you start off with? My first run, I started with only 50% recommended amount of Vertex pellets. Second time, I started with 25% of recommended amount of NPX.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I started with about 50% like it said. I haven't added more. and no algae bllom to speek of, mu skimmer did more pull than usual though as I normally need to empty it once a week, it was full saturday and sunday morning.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Alk is measuring at 10, It has been stable there since I set the tank up. I also used a buddies test kit just double check and got the same results. Ph is staying at 8.1, temp 78-79. Ammoina and nitrite undetectable, nitrates at 5ppm, Phos is .003 Calcium is 420. My Mag test went bad I need to pick up a new one so I'm not sure if that changed but I expect it didn't.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I've read that higher alkalinity can cause burnt tips even STNing, but nothing so quick as overnight loss. I keep my Alk around 7 - 7.4dKH... during my vacation 2 weeks ago, I adjusted my dosing pump to give it "a little" more just in case, and I came home to 2 completely dead pieces. Not sure if it has any bearing, but just what I've experienced.

"Burnt tips - Some users of organic carbon dosing have reported the tissue loss at the ends of their SPS. These "burnt tips" have recovered once the user reduced the alkalinity levels within their tank to alkalinity levels closer to natural seawater (7-8 dKH), pictured below. Unfortunately, the root cause for this is not known."

Taken from http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I am having the same issue. I have a ORA birdsnest rtn,ing Romels watermelon and pink birdsnest doing the same thing.
My levels are
ALK 8-9
PH 8-8.2 Lights just came on.
Cal 450
mag 1250
Nitrates 0-5.0
I'm getting very nervous.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
people forget when using a organic compound their water becomes very very and allows better light penitration. ive kept my alk at 9 since using and before using the pellets, not even just people using the pellets, but any type of carbon dosing people have stated they had better results at alk around 7-8, ive not had any issues with color nor growth so i havent lowered mine

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Chem u think it's from the pellets?
Mine has to be from the pellets, I can't see any other reason that I had not one problem since the tank began in August 2010 and ran fine till the very next day after I introduced the pellets. My Ponape looks even worse and half of it is gone as of now.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Chem how long u been running them ? Also there is proably no way u can contribute the 2 sps not doing well to the pellets sps r very finicky

About 1 week now. Yea It could, or could not be the pellets. Either way I am not going to cry about it. LOL
I'll just ride ot out and if everything dies I will start over again. After all. It's about the journey,,right.
On another note. The Xenia is doing great in my daughters tank. Seems very hapy.
Thanks again.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Yea everything else seems to be doing great in my tank as well, But I'm upset about my purple stylo dying that I grew from a 1" frag in august 2010 to an easy 8" round colony that died this past friday. not to mention I had offers of 500 and up for that colony, good thing I stowed away some frags in some of my buddies tanks.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: