NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
OK i see alot of threads in regards to the use of bio-pellets. So i figured i would post my thoughts, opinions and usage of them, This is a imo thread, as i am not a scientist, but going from what i have seen from my usage, I am by no means a expert in chemistry either. OK now that's out of the way.

I have been using the pellets for 8 months or so now, I started with the vertex brand and got 500 ml of the pellets as well as the vertex uf-15 reactor. I never really had phosphate issue's or nitrate issue's. My reason for wanting to use them was i use to vodka dose and would miss a day here and there, plus wanting to cut out the use of phosban and carbon. Since day one when i started i stopped using phosban and carbon. I never got the bacterial bloom. { OK i did once when i started mixing vinegar with my kalkwasser and it caused a bloom from too much of a carbon source being dosed into the tank }. My tank water stays crystal clear and no algae issue's, i only need to clean my glass once a week or so.

In the amount thats recommended for usage is where my opinion comes in. i don't believe x amount for x amount of water volume is needed. i think more so the amount is determined by the amount of phos and trates you have. My reasoning for this is, your only putting so much flow through this reactor so tank size wouldn't matter in the amount of pellets used, but the levels your trying to reduce would matter, with only x amount of pellets the phos and trates will only be consumed at x rate. so for someone with a higher levels you might need more pellets, but do believe in only starting with the 500ml and raise the amount over a few weeks. don't think you would ever need to go beyond the 1000ml's.

OK how are they suppose to tumble and what flow rate ? well i use a mj1200 to feed my reactor, also had it feed off my return pump manifold before as well. so if i had to guess how much flow i am using would be around 200 gph, mj1200 is dialed back as well. Being able to get all the pellets to tumble is from what i have seen the best use of them as it lets the pellets grind and knock off the bacteria which the grind also helps release the carbon source. i have tried a really heavy tumble and a slow complete tumble and cant say that either or worked better. After 8 months i am now about halfway through my initial 500ml, a recent check read 0 trates with salifert, and .003 phosphates with hanna meter. i will add another 250 ml in a month or so.

Where to have the outlet from the pellets go ? I have the outlet right next to my skimmer pump intake, or did till i went with a recirc skimmer, but the feed for my skimmer is off my return manifold, so half the water goes to tank and the other half is feed into my skimmer. I cant say my skimmer produces any better or worse since using them.

I do run a UV on my system and it is plumbed into my return, so this could either be a benefit factor or not, don't know was using it before i started the pellets. I don't run filter socks, { don't have room } and they clogged way to fast for me. I clean my sump every few months anyways. I am running ruble rock in the baffles in my sump as well, which i think serve as more filtration.

I do have allot of fish in my tank and do feed 3 cubes of frozen daily and don't rinse it, I do drain all the liquid though, as well as every other day i feed flake or pellets along with the frozen.

I do and have always ran very efficient skimmers that are work horse's.

I do have a sps dominated tank, as well as some zoa's and a few lps, none of my corals have had issue's since i started using the pellets, and matter of fact my lps have their tentacles out most of the time.

I see alot of people quickly point to the pellets if they are having issue's and have yet had anyone who is properly using them really prove that the pellets was the issue. Can they cause issue's ? Yes they can just like any other products. I have never had a issue with alk from the usage of the pellets, No rtn, no nothing. well except awesome growth and colors on my corals

So my over all opinion on them ? I absolutely love them, Love not having to change out carbon and phosban, nor having to buy it. this has saved me $ since the use, My initial investment has been paid for with not having to buy the other items. Do i suggest for you to use them ? NO ! The one thing i have found over the years is people want to know but don't want to do. meaning i can tell someone exactly how i did what ever and they will do it slightly different then not have same results and get mad. So therefor i never really recommend using any products off my advice lol unless it is a skimmer.

Please if adding to the thread, no bashers, or that it is snake oil ect. But would like to hear your theory or acclomplishments with it, or what you think might caused a problem, BTW this isnt a over night remedy and wont cure all tanks of phos or trates, who knows your rock or sand might be saturated and not allowing the pellets to get you where you want them to get you

Last edited:

Shananagans

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I am glad you decided to put this up. I have been wanting to get some pellets going in my tank. The only reason I don't have them yet is that I am on a tigh budget and waiting to get a reactor. I want to get the via aqua 20/20 poly reactor as it is cheap but done know if it will fit the amount of pellets I may need and with enough flow. I have a 57 rimless with about another 10 or 15 in the fuge. I am looking into getting the npx bio beads.

I have been looking into the beads for awhile but heard so many different experiences. I saw in older post that you mentioned you don't like messing with alot in a tank you pref "natural" stuff, but I saw in you signature you were using the beads... I then stalked your profile, looked thru some of your post and decided I think I will try them once I get the funds. Be careful yo never know who is watching you!

I was also considering using neo zeo as I heard some good stuff, and had a friend that I trust have good results. Then I saw the process to get it going and having to shake it twice a day, and thought that was annoying. And what really one me over (which I can't find now) is a video on youtube of a tank that used neo zeo and then switched to bio beads. You could see a big diffrence in color, growth too, but that could just have been time. The corals looked happy in both, but with the pellets the corals really stood out.

Oh, I am Scott by the way.

aka, your stalker...

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
NY did you have any problems with the pellets staying clumped together or floating in the initial start up in the reactor? I started the XP pellets today and they are staying in one clump and not tumbling at all. I have heard of others having this issue but with different results after a day or two. I'm running the MJ 1200 as well on a TLF 150, When I dial the flow back the pellets sink in one mass, if the flow is higher they float in one mass.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
nope never clumping, had some float for a couple days, then none after that. i didnt pre-soak mine eitherand i keep telling people that you really need a proper reactor, ive read so many post where people having the issue's is from using the tlf reactors. they wont say it is from that but 80% seem to be trying to use that reactor, the input and output are only gonna allow x amount of flow in and out, trust me i am a cheapo and hated spending the $100 for the vertex reactor, but worse case if i didnt like the pellets i have a killer phos or carb reactor

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I talked to Widdy and I have seemed to solve the problem. I think it had to do with not presoaking, after I took the TLF 150 out and turned it upside down a few times the pellets broke up and once plugged back in they started to tumble properly. I'm running it on a 65 so I figured it would be large enough.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I believe the pre-soaking will prevent pellets from floating once added/replenished, but clumping will occur if left in reactor without motion and it starts to get tacky. I have an additional worry since I run my UF15 off a manifold. When doing WC, I need to be quick or risk the pellets at a standstill too long and the reactor turning anoxic. But you guys are using pumps should be fine.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
steve mine were ran off a manifold on my return for 7 months with no isse's when i did wc's lol how long does it take you to do a wc thats your worried about it turning toxic ?

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
steve mine were ran off a manifold on my return for 7 months with no isse's when i did wc's lol how long does it take you to do a wc thats your worried about it turning toxic ?

I dunno Rick... midway some times I go for a sandwich and a beer, watch some TV... would say I played some COD, but PSN is down :lol2: Nah, takes like 10-15 minutes tops... just a heads up on leaving the pellets standing still, that's all.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
So you guys have the entire reactor tumbling correct? Not just the top like you would with Phosban? My reactor has everything tumbling from top to bottom, a nice medium to slow tumble.

sil3ncio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I just started using pellets a few days ago, I'm using NPX bioplastics by TLF, hope this works in my tank, I don't like to have to dose vodka everyday.... I uploaded a video on to show my reactor, it's a TLF 150 with a rio 90 pump, really small, started with just 1/2 cup of pellets, someone tell me if it looks ok...

http://youtu.be/BolG6YmFI6Y

Also have a video of my tank...
http://youtu.be/bJrbnauvF_w

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
So you guys have the entire reactor tumbling correct? Not just the top like you would with Phosban? My reactor has everything tumbling from top to bottom, a nice medium to slow tumble.

I've got mine tumbling all over, but it's a very slow tumble to avoid grinding. Works for me so far. I'm using BRS pellets on a DIY reactor made from kold steril unit.

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Nice job Rick. Good write up. Pleasure reading about this topic because I am slowly becoming very interested in trying it...

So...do you feel running pellets with a phosphate reactor and carbon reactor is not needed? My soon to come tank will be running a carbon reactor, phosphate reactor, and bio pellet reactor. Would that be completely pointless? Or do you feel would prove nothing running both, or better to run all 3?

Also, what bio pellets do you recommend.... Or are all pellets the same, just the name is different like most phosban?

Do you feel a bio pellet REACTOR is completely needed or could any other reactor work fine with bio pellets...like a phosban or nextreef or PM or any other reactor, but with bio pellets in it?

And final question...if your going to use these, and say you have high phosphates, would you recommend running a phosphate sponge media in the reactor first, then change it in 36 hours until the phosphates are lower, then start with the pellets? Or just run higher amounts of bio pellets to start

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
some people have had luck using the two little fish's reactor, but have seen alot of people have issue's using that reactor, you can only put x amount of flow through it and the way the flow goes through might be the problem also, if your starting a brand new tank, i would wait to start the pellets, starting off you wont really have bacteria for the pellets to colonize off of, i dont suggest for people to not use carbon or phosban. this was just something i wanted to try and it worked for me, but i had very low phos and nitrates before i started the pellets. plus i was vodka dosing,i personally started with the vertex pellets but have a bag of the npx i will be adding shortly as others have worn halfway down. and yes they must be ran in a reactor.

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
some people have had luck using the two little fish's reactor, but have seen alot of people have issue's using that reactor, you can only put x amount of flow through it and the way the flow goes through might be the problem also, if your starting a brand new tank, i would wait to start the pellets, starting off you wont really have bacteria for the pellets to colonize off of, i dont suggest for people to not use carbon or phosban. this was just something i wanted to try and it worked for me, but i had very low phos and nitrates before i started the pellets. plus i was vodka dosing,i personally started with the vertex pellets but have a bag of the npx i will be adding shortly as others have worn halfway down. and yes they must be ran in a reactor.

Thanks, the tank is not new I'm going to try it on. The tank has been running for well over a year and a half, I'm just switching over to a 11 gallon larger tank, that's all. So I have more then enough bacteria. I'm thinking going like this...
Nextreef MR1 shorty with esv carbon running on a Marineland euro 400 pump
Kent reactor running GFO with a marineland euro 400 pump.
Nextreef MR1 shorty or the normal MR1, with EcoBAK bio pellets or AVA bio pellets with a marineland euro 400 pump

Just curious if anyone thinks if the nextreef shorty reactor with the euro 400 would be adequate together for bio pellets

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
The Shorty can be used, you'll probably have to do the mesh mod to contain the pellets.

Euro 400 @ 106gph probably isn't going to cut it... shoot for a MJ1200 or Mag3.

Thanks. Mesh mod? Ill have to look this up. Ima big fan of the nextreef reactors, and love the shorty because it's nice and small and very well built. And How about the marineland euro 1100 doing 294gph? Big fan of the marineland euro brand pumps...

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Thanks. Mesh mod? Ill have to look this up. Ima big fan of the nextreef reactors, and love the shorty because it's nice and small and very well built. And How about the marineland euro 1100 doing 294gph? Big fan of the marineland euro brand pumps...

Something similar to this http://web1.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17396058&postcount=86 You'll be using the mesh instead of the included sponges that normally comes with reactors. The sponges gets clogged up quickly, so don't use them.

I found the mesh at Michael's in the crocheting section. It was like $3-$4...

294gph should be fine, or run a larger return pump like NYReefNoob mention. It's my preferred way as well...

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: