ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Thats pretty good comparing that we don't treat the whole tank with those stuff but just dipping frags in them. So a bottle will actually last a long time, considering we don't get frags everyweek/days :D :D.

Too bad there isn't any local place that sell them. How much did you pay for that bottle to be shipped?

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I hope the dipping at the frag swap will include the one for these flatworms. It would suck to keep spreading it around.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Pedro said:
I hope the dipping at the frag swap will include the one for these flatworms. It would suck to keep spreading it around.
I haven't been to a swap nor will I be at this upcoming one but I doubt they will have time to dip every frag for 5 hours in a 40ppm levamisole dip.

Each frag buyer should take a proactive approach to not introducing pests into their own tank. We've been given the information to combat them. The treatment cost $13 and if we can spend money on frags we should really buy ourselves some.

But it might be a good idea to get a group buy for levamisole going.

Last edited:

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Here's another quote from Sean T's thread on RC about levamisole. I'm not taking it as fact but helpful observations.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6556733#post6556733 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by orion76
I did my second treatment two days ago, 50ppm for 4 hours.

There did not seem to be any flatworms left to kill, I only detected a few small unidentified pods floating around here and there.

I placed a small live rock that had sponges, tunicates, featherdusters and some small clams attached to it in the treatment tank. None of these organisms seemed to be affected in any way. Two days later they all seem alive and well.

Acro crabs survived this second treatment just like the first treatment. Totally unaffected as far as I can see.

Brittle stars again were looking dead at the end of the treatment but fully recovered immediately after a 100% water change.

I also noticed some larger amphipods scurrying on the back wall when I drained the tank after the treatment so they seem to survive it too.

So far the only creatures that I have observed being hurt by the treatment are AEFW's, small unidentified pods and brittle stars.

Seemingly unaffected: corals, sponges, tunicates, small clams (chama spp.?), commensal crabs, large amphipods.

Have not tested on any snails or fish. I fear snails may be sensitive to Levamisole. Otherwise full display treatments may be possible in bare bottom tanks with sparse use of live rock if followed by heavy water changes and carbon use.

Just sharing my observations/opinions, please don't risk any livestock or treat a fully stocked display tank based on my experiences :)

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Another interesting observation.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6613643#post6613643 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aquaman_68
Hey Mitch...You don't Owe me a drink!!!! :)
Please read...Very IMPORTANT!!! (Do this at your own risk please I do not want to be responsible for any losses)
Ques: can you dip clams in Levaminsole HCI
ANSWER: Not sure....(until tonight)

Dip & dip & dip until your heart is content!!!! & nothing is safe from a dip that goes in my reef!!! UPDATE. Levaminsole HCI can be used on crocea clams!!!:D (use at your own risk as ea clam may react differently) The one I tested with tonight made it thru the dip. He appeared to be a healthy & not weak specimen.
It was a hard one to do because I couldn't get feedback on it. No one has dipped a clam in this stuff yet.

Well tonight was the test. 5 hours in Levaminsole HCI (one hour after the interceptor treatment had begun) as well as a 6 hour triple dose of interceptor. The clam was pi$$ed when he came out of it. (pinched mantle) Put it in the tank & he must have been giving off a scent. Freakin peppermint shrimp started to try & pick at the slit in the clamped shell. A few wacks with a plastic stick & a cut two liter bottle with holes. (after watching the dam shrimps keep going over to pick) &...walla.. mantle opened up after about 20 mins once it realized the shrimp couldn't get to it.

So in closing I will add.....I dip everything & I mean everything. No rubble from other peoples tanks go in my system, period. You can't be too careful.

Just a note to add. Nadda on pests. I suggest that all reefers be more careful & be on the safe side. DIP EVERYTHING!! (at your own risk)

When you see this post & wonder...(dam he's posting late) Just took a zoo frag out of the 5 hour levaminsole HCI & 6 hour triple interceptor treatment. Yes that's right a ZOO frag!!!!!
Night people. I'm tired as well as tenacious. ;)

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I am in the process of dipping every coral in my tank in Tropic Marin Pro Cure. 1/2 way done and no flatworms so far.

Bad new is that some of the corals coming from our popular online vendor (recently) do have these AEFW's. I wouldn't put anything in your tank unless dipping in TMPC.

I'm sorry for being so anal about this but if you guys see how hard it is to find these worms, and how small the symptoms can be, and have the knowledge that many of the same corals were traded with many guys from this site, and had to rip down your reef to dip everything, and lost your best corals (I know this is a run on sentence :D).....you would be just as obsessed with these worms.

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
kimoyo said:
I haven't been to a swap nor will I be at this upcoming one but I doubt they will have time to dip every frag for 5 hours in a 40ppm levamisole dip.

Each frag buyer should take a proactive approach to not introducing pests into their own tank. We've been given the information to combat them. The treatment cost $13 and if we can spend money on frags we should really buy ourselves some.

But it might be a good idea to get a group buy for levamisole going.

Definitely agree about the group buy of levamisole!! I'm in.. :D I no longer trust any any frags!!

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
jackson6745 said:
Works faster and comes in a convenient squirt bottle :) 15min dip and any AEFW will fall off.

sound easy enough for me :D Only 15min? That is pretty effective and quick.

I wonder what happen if mixed with interceptor and fwe in one dip for 6 hrs :scratchch :scratchch

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Ok, well I finished dipping every coral in my tank and....

NO FLATWORMS

:flower::party::party::tongueani

Time to rebuild:Up_to_som

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Paul I don't have the regular flatworms in my tank, even if I did the large FWE treatments would have wiped them out. The wierd thing is that the TMPC doesn't seem to kill the AEFW right away but with in a few minutes of dipping the coral, they all peel off.
I've seen this with my own eyes, not from just reading stuff on RC, so yes TMPC does kill or remove flatworms on your acos.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: