Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hi, I didn't want to side track the other thread so I started this one.:lol_large

@Awi- Your dendros only come out when lights are off because they are nocturnal in nature. They have to be trained to open during the daylight. HTH
Hi sweetie!!

I've had my dendros for about 3 to 4 years, and they were always open. Day or night they would just open. Past January I took the tank apart to switch out the stand. Once everything was put back the only change was the arrangement of the lr. I tried to put the corals back to where they had been before to the best of my ability. It is since that time that the dendros will only open when all lights are out, and only then. Like I said this is a new behavior since the switching of the stand.

BTW, this is the only coral behaving differently!

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
That's weird, my dendros are always out as well..my aussie blanophyllia and sun coral have been trained by feeding to come out during the day as well. Do you spot feed? Where are they in the tank? I keep my dendros and blanos on top.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I always had my dendros on top of the tank on a frag rack and they always came out. I never heard anything about them being nocturnal. Sun corals on the other hand people always say low light but when I cut some pieces off my monster I put a few small ones on racks in diff spots to see if they would open and they do.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hey guys, yes it is very strange for them to behave so differently. But that is exactly what they are doing. Seems that they got PO from being removed from their home into a strange home.lol Thing is that it has been quite sometime since the move. Like I said the rock scape was changed a bit so I put them back in what should be the place they were in before more or less. After about 2 weeks I moved it to where my sun polyps are since they are totally happy. That didn't work, so then I moved them to just under the big arch to the right of the center. That also didn't work, so just now I put them back to the first spot which is under the smaller arch off to the left of the center more towards the front. They haven't fully opened, but it looks like they are a bit happier there. They are a bit fuller, and I can see the tips of their tentacles.;)

Yes, I spot feed my dendros as well as my duncans & star polyps.;) Greedy little s___kers.. they are. I'm pretty sure they have just been pouting.LOL

Last edited:

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Put them up higher and see how they react. Like I said mine are all on top and doing incredible.
2011-12-02_02_34_04_.jpg

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thanks guys! I really wasn't looking for answers, as dendros like all animals will do what they will do.;) Only reason for the post is that I was trying to help someone else on their thread, and I used my dendros as an example. Then fishman commented on my dendros, and I did not want to side track the other thread.lol

As long as they still open regardless of the time of day I know they are a life.;) That is all that really matters. Besides, I still think they are just ticked off, and will eventually go back to their usual behavior. I can at least hope.lol

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
They're BACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK:D

They did loose 2 heads, but the others are doing great.;)

Attachments

• Dendro FTS Video 032.jpg
    Dendro FTS Video 032.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 176
  • Dendro FTS Video 033.jpg
    Dendro FTS Video 033.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: