NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
this is a tough question and lots of good answers. I can share my expierence.
My 180 has been up for a year my 65 gal transplanted into this tank,
12 fish 75% of which are large angels, tangs and a tusk. Corals always did well nice growth, color but not what I felt they should be color wise. I upgraded my skimmer last year from a ASM G3 to ASM G4 with the sedra9000 pump ( kick Arse skimmer). the skimmer produces a thick brown skimmate dail, I have no nitrate and no phosphate approx 3 months ago I added an Ozone reactor controlled by a ORP controller. I also batteled red bugs prior to added Ozone.

my growth and color improved and a browned out humis has now gone to teal blue, several frags I had that had no color are now coloring up, the ones with color have intensified. was it the ozone? I attribute the gains to water quality and clarity I have lost a couple of corals, not exactly sure if it was due to the change, or if they were damaged being knocked over into other corals IE I lost a pink birds nest and a pink stylophora one fell on the other and both had wounds.

I'll try and post some pictures later today once the lights come on

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Mike, I think the easiest thing to do is to reposition the coral to another location in your tank. An example I can give is Kedds Nana Frags. The one I got from Kedd directly is sitting in the front of the tank towards the bottom. The frag I got from Rich is 6 inches higher up. Although they are of the same coral they look completely different. Keds is purple with blue tips while Richs is pink with lime green tips. They are only six inches apart in the same tank and they look so different man.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
herman said:
They are only six inches apart in the same tank and they look so different man.

I run T5s and I have a bunch of frags of purple/brown digitata scattered here and there. I also see a huge difference in color over a six inch gradient and also by which kelvin temp bulb I have them under. The frags under my 6,500 bulb purple up right away but the frags under my 11,000k stay brown regardless of what hight they're at in the tank.

I should mention that my rocks are leaching phosphate out of control so this is by no means a scientific experiment. There are far to many other variables in my tank to say it's just the light causing it. An interesting observation none the less.

SlamaJama

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.3%
152   1   0
paul, sorry i wasent clear, but the explaination of flatworms and red bugs would show as eaten away areas if it was flatworms, I see ur point, in turn causing stress...

nutrients in the water column seem to be an underlying theme....thxs rich,D

thxs frank ur exp. was alot of more of wat i was after...

thxs herman, ur right positioning is important and its a fine line...

fred, lmao, u r the most correct of all of these so called experts:wink1: , too many corals, u can have 'em...lol

Last edited:

PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Hey Slama. I was worried maybe your sps was starting to brown. Thank God that is not the case. The acro I picked up from you is doing great. I'll get a frag for you when its nice and big. How's the power strip doing? :splitspin

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
hey slama just thought i show ya how great that frag i bought off of ya is doing.... its all the way up top taking in the rays... the yellow tenuis(spelling) looking noiceeeeeee:bigeyes2: :wink1:

not brown at all... u got some good stuff mike.......

Attachments

• DSC00365.jpg
    DSC00365.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 368

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: