Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
have you dipped any corals recently in the tropic marin pro cure. i noticed after frag swap the coral i bought were dip and when i put them in myfrag tank it browned everything in frag tank. maybe frags were releasing the dip solution back into the tank

SlamaJama

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.3%
152   1   0
lets not be vague, red bugs, flatworms? Flatworms eat away at the sps so that is not a answer or solution...

the question is, wat causes browning out of corals (w/o parasitic intervention) and how can they be recovered.

David, i have noticed the difference when dipped...prob should rinse with saltwater bath to reduce the iodine leeching into tank.

mshur

Rating - 99.3%
294   2   1
ime, corals brown out from amount of nutrients in the system such as po4/no3 and etc,. also, luck of light.
if they ever come back...u have a good chance. but,some of them will neve rcome back with a color.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Lack of growth. So you need to either change some out of wack parameter (water change is the best way) or just be patient. However, if you tank is stable them it could just be that some SPS require long periods of time to respond to the environment they are in, before they begin to grow and color up.

Mike you just upgraded and put all your corals in a new system. You also purchase alot of new ones, they need time to acclumate to your tank. Many corals come from a totally different environment than what we put them into in our aquariums.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
from wat i been reading about corals browing there are way to many reasons that it may happen... for example i had a purple acro up high on the rocks.. it did ok for a week then the colors started turning brown but the new growth was a nice purple.. and u could also see hues of the purple down the frag... in my case it was to high to the lights.. so i lowered it and its slowely regaining its colors..

as mentioned above some of the reasons are
stress, not enough flow, lighting, nutrients, water chemistry, temp.,..... and many others....

pretty much trial and error.. since you just started the tank ur water prob. has alot of nutrients as spykes has said... spykes did u tell him the same thing u told me.... (skimming) lolZ good luck mike...

SlamaJama

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.3%
152   1   0
well, i posted this as a general ques., my tank is fine and i hold colors well...i did noticed some browning in a certain piece that prompted me to raise the question....
and i was looking for examples of wat ppls did to alter/change the effect of browning happening in their tanks....wat throw them away and buy new 1's, that cant be it...

SlamaJama

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.3%
152   1   0
SlamaJama said:
well, i posted this as a general ques., my tank is fine and i hold colors well...i did noticed some browning in a certain piece that prompted me to raise the question....
and i was looking for examples of wat ppls did to alter/change the effect of browning happening in their tanks....wat throw them away and buy new 1's, that cant be it...
did u read this...uhhggg

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Nutrient issue. Some corals look better in a high nutrient tank and some in a very low nutrient tank. Light penetration from water clarity is an issue as well.

joe

Rating - 95.8%
23   1   0
what bout phospahtes.

i believe when DRZl(Andres)
had his tank accident his phosphates went up , and all his SPS browned out.
i may be thinking of something else,
,maybe he can chim in.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
SlamaJama said:
lets not be vague, red bugs, flatworms? Flatworms eat away at the sps so that is not a answer or solution...

the question is, wat causes browning out of corals (w/o parasitic intervention) and how can they be recovered.

David, i have noticed the difference when dipped...prob should rinse with saltwater bath to reduce the iodine leeching into tank.
Mike,

This is what you asked.

SlamaJama said:
What causes SPS to go from color to "browning" out?
I didn't know you were speaking about your tank nor was I speaking about your tank. If you didn't want to hear about parasites then you should have just said so. When I got flatworms and red bugs my frags started browning. At first I thought it was a salinity issue which it wasn't; soon I realized it was red bugs and flatworms. Because I didn't have a whole bunch of corals my frags died off pretty quickly before I could even get coral cure. I've seen a lot of pictures of corals with flatworms and red bugs and most of them were browned out. If corals go brown just from getting stressed like others have said, isn't it possible that red bugs and flatworms stress the corals making them brown?

In addition to the stress the corals are getting from these parasites, I assume that they slowly eat the outer layers of the corals first (I could be wrong). But zoox algae resides inside of the these layers and their pigments are in many cases what mostly gives off the brown. If the outer layers which house the coral pigments are being eaten then I would think that the brown would show up more.

I could be wrong but this is what I've seen in person and in pictures. Here's a picture from the AEFW RC thread

06-04-06stagdamage.jpg

Thats exactly how the corals I saw in person looked that had these parasites. And they can be around before you notice their damage while the corals are browning out.

Last edited:

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Slama browning is caused by.... too many corals....yeah that's what it is, sure. Yeah ummmm when you have to many sps corals they brown.....the only cure is to give away...for free....your nicest ones to people who have funny avitars. Everyone knows that!:wink1::Up_to_som:theyareon:biglaugh:

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
joe said:
what bout phospahtes.

i believe when DRZl(Andres)
had his tank accident his phosphates went up , and all his SPS browned out.
i may be thinking of something else,
,maybe he can chim in.
phosphate is nutrients, anything that can fuel growth or some type of energy.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: