DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Since mine has been closed during the day, I've been feeding it at night, when its' feeding tentacles are out. Maybe it's been 'trained' to open after lights out.

Should I just stop feeding at night? Only during the day like you guys said?

BTW Philly, mine is under T5's. It's on the side of the tank, far from dead center. So it's not receiving the brunt of the light output.

Dean, Philly, thanks for your help.

swimmer

Hey Russ...
No prob.

Does it open at all when the lights are on?

I would stop feeding at night.
What do you feed?

Dendros are not sensitive as Sun-Polyps & can tollerate light.
Acclimate it slowly to your lighting, by slowly moving the Dendro to where-ever you want it's permanent place in your tank.:)

ming said:
Good luck on finding babies. My sun coral (in my avatar) spawned in my tank and I found 4 babies, each in different areas of my tank. Ofcourse there might be more in the rockwork.

That's cool Ming!:)

scarf_ace1981 said:
that is sweet phil. i guess froggie now knows what all those things floating around in his tank were.

Thanks Jon.
Wow....I didn't know froggies got knocked up too.:D

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Phil, thanks for the 411. When the polyps don't extend during the day and I only see it open at night, it's very difficult NOT to feed it.

During the day it rarely opens up. I feed the tank, not the dendro directly. My frozen concoction is:
mysis
blood worms
ocean plankton
marine cuisine
rotifers
cyclopeeze
daphnia

Help make my dendro open Philly :(

Thanks bud,
R

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Phil, thanks for the 411. When the polyps don't extend during the day and I only see it open at night, it's very difficult NOT to feed it.

During the day it rarely opens up. I feed the tank, not the dendro directly. My frozen concoction is:
mysis
blood worms
ocean plankton
marine cuisine
rotifers
cyclopeeze
daphnia

Help make my dendro open Philly :(

Thanks bud,
R

Hey Russ:)

I've noticed that Dendros are meat eaters.
Your "concoction":lol: has alot of stuff that doesn't really do much for it......except mysis.
You DO have to target feed the polyps individually.
I feed clumps of mysis & sometimes clam meat.

Cut the feeding for about a week.
When hungry.....believe me, those bad boys should open right up.:D

Even if the tentacles are not extending when your lights are on.....try squirting some mysis on it. It should at least attempt to extend & try to grab some food.

Keep me posted.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
You da man. Thanks Phil. I'll keep you posted. BTW, when you feed, do you 'bait' your shrimp? What I mean is, do you squirt food elsewhere in your tank to lure your shrimp away from the dendro while feeding it? I find my darn cleaner shrimp right on top of the dendro picking away at any food he can get. :mad: I love my cleaner shrimp, but it's those moments that I see a nice shrimp scampi meal in front of me :rolleyes:

Thanks again,
R

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
You da man. Thanks Phil. I'll keep you posted. BTW, when you feed, do you 'bait' your shrimp? What I mean is, do you squirt food elsewhere in your tank to lure your shrimp away from the dendro while feeding it? I find my darn cleaner shrimp right on top of the dendro picking away at any food he can get. :mad: I love my cleaner shrimp, but it's those moments that I see a nice shrimp scampi meal in front of me :rolleyes:

Thanks again,
R

Squirt some cyclop-eeze or mysis juice over them during the day. Even if they open a little...FEED them. They'll "learn" to open during the day.
:irked:

Anyway, dendros are such slow eaters that your shrimp will be done with the bait and still have time to pick at the polyps.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
:irked:

Anyway, dendros are such slow eaters that your shrimp will be done with the bait and still have time to pick at the polyps.

Don't be :irked: Dean. Sometimes things have to be repeated to sink in. Especially to the geriatric crew :hug:

So if the shrimp finish their bait, how do the dendros ever finish their meal if the shrimp steal it away? Now that makes me :mad:

Thanks BD

R

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0

Thanks again,
R

Yes....I do.

Friggin' shrimps!:irked:
I give them whatever food, just to keep them busy for a while.
If they finish the food quick.....sometimes I'll take a swing at them with my target doser.
sprt (1).gif

:sgrin:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Yes....I do.

Friggin' shrimps!:irked:
I give them whatever food, just to keep them busy for a while.
If they finish the food quick.....sometimes I'll take a swing at them with my target doser.
sprt (1).gif

:sgrin:

LMAO too funny, cause I do that and something else too :shhh: . Since I've been feeding at night, when I see my cleaner going to scarf food away from mr. dendro, I have a small LED strobe light I shine at the cleaner. :eek:
It always frightens him away. :lol2: Hey, whatever works I guess.

R

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: