Dj Orion

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I was wondering if it was possible to glue acans on live rock, so that they arent scattered on my sand bed. Has anyone attempted this before? If so, how did you do it?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I've glued lots of frags of acans onto live rock..you do it that same way as other frags, assuming your frags are already mounted on rubble.

I'm wondering how high you can safely place an acan in a tank. None of mine are currently any higher than 5 inches off the sandbed. Tank is 25" deep & running 2 x250w MH's.

Any input from the acan lovers out there?

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
I've placed acans as far as mid level in my tank with no ill effects. i think they tend to thrive more in bottom areas where they can get direct light, if you want them to color up nicely make sure there not placed in any shaded areas.

Alexpescado

Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Most of my acans are mounted on pieces of live rock. I tend to choose
rock that is flat. I like to use epoxy for building a ramp so that it is easier for the coral to encrust. Try to mount your frags so the flesh is flush with the rock so it can start encrusting easily. I notice that mine really start to grow well after being in my tank for about 4 months. I guess it takes some time for them to get used to thier new lighting and tank conditions. I have had some grow from one polyp to 10 polyps in about 5 months. I have kept mine at various levels in a 40 breeder under T-5's. A few of mine have lost a little color but most have kept their beautiful colors. All
of these are now off the sand bed and mounted on live rock.
aussiesej1.jpg

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Gee Alex..that was a real thread killer....instead of answering questions folks are just going to sit here drooling at your acans..deservedly so I must add. :) ...get ready for the PM's...lol

All kidding aside, for those of you that have been lucky enough to see either tank that Alex keeps, you know how colorful, fat & healthy his corals are. There hasn't been a time when I wasn't just breezing through to pick something up that I didn't spend an hour there admiring..alright coveting..his corals. Just incredible..and a nicer reefer you won't find...;)
Hats off to Alex for the great care he takes of his corals :thrash:

To those of you who have managed to finally get past that pic...so where do you place your acans? :splitspin

Last edited:

Dj Orion

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
lol, alex's tank was my inspiration for starting to get acans in the first place. i have a new shipment coming in tomorrow afternoon from zoanuts. That is my new spot, their corals are amazing, and they take great pride in their packing and shipping. Will update my tank thread pics tomorrow with the new goodies.

Alexpescado

Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Thanks Kathy for the kind words. I really love these Aussie Acans.
I have sold or traded many of my other corals so that I could get more of them. Kathy when you come by next time you will see that the acans are almost all mounted on flat rocks for grow out. They are also at kept high, mid, and at low levels in the tank.

JHOV2324

Love da Reef-er
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Most of my acans are mounted on pieces of live rock. I tend to choose
rock that is flat. I like to use epoxy for building a ramp so that it is easier for the coral to encrust. Try to mount your frags so the flesh is flush with the rock so it can start encrusting easily. I notice that mine really start to grow well after being in my tank for about 4 months. I guess it takes some time for them to get used to thier new lighting and tank conditions. I have had some grow from one polyp to 10 polyps in about 5 months. I have kept mine at various levels in a 40 breeder under T-5's. A few of mine have lost a little color but most have kept their beautiful colors. All
of these are now off the sand bed and mounted on live rock.
aussiesej1.jpg

Ummmm....ALEX we need to talk.....

yeahcheetah

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Alex has great tanks!!! And both are sumpless.
Guys, you really should take a look at his tanks in person.
Alex, you should start collecting tickets.:lol2::lol2::lol2:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: