flipit13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
i have a frogspawn that i got with with one head and in the last several months has grown kinda out of control spliting contsantly now about 8 heads the outer skeleton isn't hard yet is there away to slow down so it hardens or can you cut when its soft

thanks
rick

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
What a nice quandry to find yourself in ! :)

Good question..just how soft is it?
What is your calcium level?
I can't imagine why you'd want to slow down growth though when everyone else is busting their collective butts to get stuff to grow! lol Lucky you!

georgelc86

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
So Josh, your saying to cut at the point of branching from the respective main stem, yes?

Also, what do you cut with. I have some lost heads that I am looking to cleanup but am a bit afraid to cut and dont know what to cut with. Dremel?

flipit13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
thank you for the quick responce... i only have a 40 breeder and would rather keep it small and give a frag ot 2 to a friend of mine.... plus it just grows like a weed....

my cal is around 480-500 i have alot of acros and lps and like to keep it alittle higher just in case i miss my morning dosing.... actually since i have been keeping it higher i have seen great growth on my acros and chalices

thanks
rick

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
If you look beneath the fat water filled part of the polyp, you'll see that the coral is gradually laying down skeleton beneath it. It has a small bit of tissue that extends down onto the skeleton. You don't want to damage that, cut below it.

The easiest way to cut a thick frogspawn is with a dremel and a diamond wheel. It is actually mostly hollow inside so you should be able to cut through it pretty easily (unlike Duncans which are mostly solid and impossible to cut without a table saw).

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I always used bone cutters(frag shears) to frag frog spawns. just cut them where Josh described and you'll be fine.

flipit13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
thanks jhale but i could always use them i have a chalice a buddy wants to trade so i would need it for that also.... i have bone cutters but i think the way it is growing the dremel might be easier.
i am gonna to try to take a pic

thanks
rick

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: