18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
The day before yesterday i look in the tank and the toadstool doesnt have its polyps out. Not a big deal, this happens sometimes. Yesterday I look in and over a third of it is rotting away. No the anemonehas nothing to do with it they have been good fot a year togother. Some of the other toadstools are closed but others are not. Any advice would be a great help even though i think its a little too late for this one. The one next to it looks like its getting the same thing on its stalk.

0525091714.jpg

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
hows the water par: ph,alk,ca,mg,temp?
i am ruling out other par since leathers r very hardy n can withstand the worst conditions.
as for the rotting leather, take it out n give it a iodine base dip every few days.
hows the water flow in that spot? leather r usually very hardy. they sometimnes break apart for reproduction purpose, but not rotting. carbon should be use. sometimes leathers close up when lighting is too strong.

Last edited:

18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
water par. are all within range. water movement is very good. it has been under these lights for over a year all my other corals are doing just fine. every few days might not cut it on the dip since it has spread over an inch today alone. all my other corals are doing just fine including some sps and other toadstools.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Can you QT it? I would get it out of the tank asap and put it in a QT tank before it fouls your water. I would do a WC after it is out as well. If it doesn't look like it is going to make it at all I would frag a piece of it off and try to save that frag. Take from the side where the polyps are extended and use a very sharp pair of scissors or a pizza cutter. After fragging rinse in fresh saltwater thoroughly and then take it from there. Sometimes an iodine dip helps in this case I don't think it will.

Also what other corals are in it's proximity that might have stung it? Keep in mind other corals send out sweepers that can sting corals within their territory as a defense mechanism.

18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Update,
Well the bad egg is gone I had to remove it by the time i got home from work it was almost all rotten. I did save a tenie tiny pice hopefully it doesent have any, i will know tomorrow. The one next to it looks like it has it on its stalk but i gave it a nice iodine dip as suggested (thanks all). I dont test iodine but i do dose it, but probably not as offen as i should. On the other side of the coin my other toadstools were open and fraging themselves of which i have 2 new toadstools other than the little pice. Thanks everyone for your help.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: