ESSELO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
i have two problems:
1. i have a purple acropora which has lost all color and is becoming whiter by the day.
2. same with my pink birds nest.

i've tested the water, all parameters are excellant. i have relocated these two dozen times with no effect. the acropora looks like it's dying but the birds nest's polyps are extended. both have completely lost their color. the acropora came to me stressed and brown colored more than purple. the birds nest was a beautiful pink color. shortly after introduction lost every hint of color. not sure what else i can do, i don't want to lose them. if anyone has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate some help. thanks in advance. in the meantime i will post pics.

finksmart

SPS Fanatic
Vendor
Rating - 100%
268   0   0
i have relocated these two dozen times with no effect.

I think there is the reason. SPS don't like to be touched or moved. Some may tolerate it more than others. The aquacultured ones can tolerate being moved better than others. I have pieces that bleached, browned or even RTNed on me from me simply moving it just once, let alone two dozen times.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
i've tested the water, all parameters are excellant. i have relocated these two dozen times with no effect. the acropora looks like it's dying but the birds nest's polyps are extended. both have completely lost their color. the acropora came to me stressed and brown colored more than purple. the birds nest was a beautiful pink color. shortly after introduction lost every hint of color. not sure what else i can do, i don't want to lose them. if anyone has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate some help. thanks in advance. in the meantime i will post pics.

along with the other questions, what size is the system, have there been any temp swings, what is the normal temp of the tank, what SG do you keep it at, are you using ro/di water or tap water, and where did the colonies come from?

are there other corals in the tank that are doing well?

ESSELO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
215 gallons, small temp change when mh come on. 72 degrees when off, 74/75 when on, no rodi i have a whole house filter on the tap water-i tested it and found no problems as well as a lab test, my other stuff is doing great (bubble, pipe organs, galaxia, zoos, palys, kenya, purple digi, feather dusters, various softies etc)

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
alk is too high and cal is on the high side, reason i ask brand of kits alot of them are less accurate, what do you use to measure salinity ? and a temp swing can do it quickly as well

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
the temp is a bit on the low side for SPS most like to be in the 77 range.

the alk is also high, 9 would be better than 12 and a CA of 400 would be fine.

the SG of 1.025 is good. I think the SPS might have been shocked going into your system. those parameters are not terrible, but the coral would have to grow up in them to tolerate them. SPS are pretty finicky, they don't like change, I think that was the problem in your case.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
what salt are you using ? id do a wc to help get parms in check and temp really is on the low side for a reef. i keep mine 77-79 alot of variables with sps and ur tank is on the new side for sps

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: