ocholoco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
When you guys say "Dip the Coral before putting in Tank" What do you guys mean dip into Fresh Water??? or is there some other chemicals?? What are they called?? Are there different for different corals??

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
i did some research on dipping corals because of my redbug problem.

mostly for general dipping of sps, lps and other corals people tend to use dips like
tropic marine pro cure, two little fishies coral revive, and sea chem reef dip.
also in addition to dipping with one of the above some even go as far as adding
salifert flatworm exit to fight red planeria, and interceptor tablets for SPS to fight red bugs...

in my new tank ill be using
coral revive
flatworm exit(i read alot of dips dont seem to kill off red planeria)
for SPS Interceptor tablets to prevent redbugs..(still learning about this treatment)

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
for SPS Interceptor tablets to prevent redbugs..(still learning about this treatment)

Interceptor's -very- easy to use as a dip. Add a small pinch to a 1-or-2-L bucket, add some tank water, add the corals, aerate for four to six hours, rinse in SW, put in a rinsed bucket with some clean SW and aerate for about half an hour, reintroduce to your tank somewhere where arthropods you care about won't be able to get at them and pick at dead red bugs for a few hours in order to let the remaining chemicals in the coral dissipate.

You only need a very small amount of interceptor, but overdosing doesn't appear to be a problem.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
When you guys say "Dip the Coral before putting in Tank" What do you guys mean dip into Fresh Water??? or is there some other chemicals?? What are they called?? Are there different for different corals??

The chemicals you use are dependent on what you're treating for. For example, I have a six-line wrasse with a voracious appetite for aceole flatworms, so I don't bother with flatworm exit. New acropoids get an Interceptor bath, and visual inspection, to guard against red-bugs and acro-eating flatworms, followed by a bath with lugol's iodine for a dip if I suspect AEFWs or something, or if it's not possible to easily inspect the coral. Most other things just get a quick lugol's dip and visual inspection.

Usually you add a few drops/pinch of chemical to saltwater and dip the coral in it for anywhere from a few minutes to several hours, depending.

I recommend browsing www.melevsreef.com for more info on common pests and ways to prevent them. Check the site map. :)

chessmanmark

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I posted this a while back. You may find this helpful.

Preventative Dips

You’ve read about the benefits of quarantining your corals but you haven’t made the commitment because of space or time considerations. The next best thing is to use preventative dips to protect your precious investment (financial and emotional) in your reef tank.

I use a 5 ? gallon tank to dip all new arrivals that will go into my display. I mix up some new salt water when I know I’m going to receive new corals. I take about 3 gallons of water out of the display and fill the 5 ? gallon tank, then replace this water volume with fresh SW in the display. I have a heater and a low flow powerhead for this temporary quarantine tank.

IMG_4221.jpg

First I temperature acclimate the new corals. Once they are acclimated to the temperature the next step is to treat with Salifert Flatworm Exit. This product treats any incoming corals for planaria flatworms. It’s relatively easy to treat your entire tank for these pests, however if you treat your corals before placing them in your tank you will avoid infecting the entire display. Flatworm Exit is not harsh on your corals so you can leave it in the water for as long as you treat your corals.

The next step for acropora corals is to treat for red bugs with Interceptor. Interceptor is beef flavored heartworm medicine for dogs. It kills microscopic red bugs from your acropora corals. Red bugs irritate acros and you will not see good polyp extension if you have them. I found the best way to know if you have them or not is to take lots of macro photos of your corals. Then enlarge the image for better inspection. Interceptor is a prescription drug that must be prescribed by a veterinarian. Find someone who has a large dog to get this product for you. It is important to crush up the pill. I use a razor blade to cut it into a fine powder or a mortar and pestal to crush it up. I use 1/4 of a pill in this small tank. You can also use a 5 gallon bucket. I like to let acroporas sit in an Interceptor dip for 6 hours. Don’t worry if you go longer with this step as Interceptor is mild on your corals. This is another treatment option that is easy enough to utilize for your entire tank, however the idea of the dip is to prevent red bugs from infesting your display.

Step three for acropora is to dip for Acro Eating Flatworms (AEFW.) Many products will kill off the flatworms but they will not kill the eggs that may linger on a coral. That’s why a visual inspection is a good idea. Pick up a magnifying glass to get a good close look. To treat for AEFW I use Fluke tabs. These are sold over the counter and can be found on most online e-tailers. I crush up two tablets and let the coral soak for 30-45 minutes.

You may choose to use a product like Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure (TM PCC) or coral ReVive. I have used TM PCC and it is very harsh on corals, especially if they have recently been shipped. I dip them for no more than 5 minutes and often double the recommended dosage. I use TM PCC on all montipora corals and soft corals that I put in my tanks. You can also give zoas a fresh water dip. I have friends who put them directly under the tap, but you may prefer to use RO/DI water. IME zoas are pretty hardy and can withstand this type of dip while pest don't hold up through the dip. Try to keep the temp mild or close to your tank temp.

When you finish your preventative dips it is a good idea to give your corals a good rinse with water taken out of your tank in a separate container. Use a turkey baster to blow off anything that may be on your coral and give it a good rinse.

If you search the web you will find lots of information on these products and how to work with them. I wrote this post to share what I do from the point of view of an average hobbyist who has been keeping a reef for five years and learned a thing or two along the way. Good luck with your reef and I hope you are able to keep it pest free so you can enjoy the growth of your corals.

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
No coral ever enters my tank without going through a precautionary dip first. As stated by just about everyone here the type of dip varies depending upon the type of coral being introduced.

A prophylactic dip can help you avert a sometimes long, drawn out, expensive treatment that may have cost the life of some, possibly all the coral in your tank.

With MACNA coming next week, there is going to be a LOT of new coral going into hundreds, if not thousands of tanks next weekend. These precautionary dips can save literally thousands of dollars worth of livestock. Be careful and be diligent about how you add new additions to your system.

Russ

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
No coral ever enters my tank without going through a precautionary dip first. As stated by just about everyone here the type of dip varies depending upon the type of coral being introduced.

A prophylactic dip can help you avert a sometimes long, drawn out, expensive treatment that may have cost the life of some, possibly all the coral in your tank.

With MACNA coming next week, there is going to be a LOT of new coral going into hundreds, if not thousands of tanks next weekend. These precautionary dips can save literally thousands of dollars worth of livestock. Be careful and be diligent about how you add new additions to your system.

Russ

+1
I know I've learned my lesson the hard way! Once with flat worms, and lastly with red bugs.:irked:
I have a question though.

How do you dip an anemoni? That's what brought the flat worms into my tank a few years back.:irked: Fortunately, my manderin and radiant took care of them in short order.:tongue1:
Also, I dip with the Seachem Reef Dip. I guess this is not good enough.
Should I just invest in Revive, and use that instead? I'm not so sure about using a bunch of different chemicals on an animal.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Awilda, sorry to hear about this new round of pests. It's strange to hear that you got flat worms from an anemone bringing them in. I've never heard of an anemone harboring flat worms, but I'll be the first to admit that I don't know everything (my kids will agree heartily with that).

Russ

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Awilda, sorry to hear about this new round of pests. It's strange to hear that you got flat worms from an anemone bringing them in. I've never heard of an anemone harboring flat worms, but I'll be the first to admit that I don't know everything (my kids will agree heartily with that).

Russ

I don't believe they were really on the anemone it's self, but the rock the anemone was attached to.;)
Flat worms was a couple of years ago, and the manderin & radiant irradicated in no time.lol

Seriously, I'm always fearfull of dipping lps corals. I have, and strictly followed the recommended dosage for the shorter period of time, and yet lost a couple. So that is why I'm fearfull.;)

What about my previous question concerning what to treat with that will cover all pest? Is Revive the thing to use on everything for everything?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
There really is no 'all encompassing' dip that will eradicate planaria flatworms, red bugs and AEFW. It will require different treatments for each.

Every single coral, soft, hard, LPS, SPS, whatever, at the bare minimum gets a Salifert FWE dip by me. Revive is a great dip, a bit harsh, but effective.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: