krak256

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
I think I may have STN on my green birdsnest. the skin has been peeling off the base of the coral very slowly over the past couple of days.

Here is a pic:
3970117111_406fac43e6_b.jpg

you can see the skin peeled off on the bottom right. what do I do to stop this? I have a 34g solana and I did a 5g water change on sunday. no other corals in my tank have this issue.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
superglue isnt going to anything if you dont figure out the reason you are getting STN in the first place. I have had many SPS recover from STN after correcting a problem without using any superglue.

If you havnt already done it, test your water parameters. In my experience, birdsnest are one of the first SPS to start dying off when there is a problem.

krak256

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
I just did a water test:
DSC_0044.jpg

Top left: Nitrate = 0
Top right: Nitrate = .5 - 1 (maybe?)
Bottom left: PH = 8.4
Bottom right: Ammonia = 0 (is that correct? the color is kind of mixed)

i also tested my calcium: 400 ppm. (used redsea kit)

What do you think Wes? i will run out and get a alk test tomorrow.

Last edited:

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
those look ok. i would be more concerned with your alkalinity and calcium...Especially alkalinity.

Also, if you go buy a alkalinity test kit, get something other than API. I am not a fan because it's hard to match the color to the card. I like Tropic Marin, Elos, and Salifert test kits for alkalinity.

lazibonez

Senior Newbie
Rating - 100%
379   0   0
From the picture, the birdsnet looks fine, but if u see skins peeling off, then yeah something is going on.

Like Wes already mentioned, get better test kits for more accuracy. Alk swing can be the cause, even very high cal can do the same. Pest can also play a role.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
also birdsnest usually dont have full color all the way to the base as they get bigger, they arent really recieving light as well as getting less flow, parms really have to be off for b-nest to be effected so ive found. when doing wc, have you ever tested the mix to check parms > and temp ?

bimmer01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96%
194   8   0
I've had some experience with a yellow tort and green birdsnest bleaching from the base and I found that my Alk and Magnesium was very low. I raised both of them and now the color is starting to come back.

Last edited:

krak256

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
thanks for the input everyone. looks like everyone is thinking it might have to do with the alk. i will run to the store and get a kit today.

nyreefnoob, i have never tested the water for anything besides salinity. i use reef crystals.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: