basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I have a 4 inch wall hammer and many heads of brancing hammers. The branching ones open very nicely but the wall version has the polyps very tight and short. I have a 24 gallon Aquapod with 65w PC lighting. Do you think it needs more light.

The first picture with the hammer on the right next to the candycane is about 4 weeks ago and the second picture is today. You can see that the polyps are not as extended now.

Attachments

• 100_1774.jpg
    100_1774.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 614
  • 100_1806.jpg
    100_1806.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 590
Last edited:

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
how long have you had it? It took my wall hammer a few weeks before it opened up nicely and I got mine from a friends tank so it wasnt just cut or shipped. You might need to give it more time. Do you feed them at all?

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Thanks for the response.
I have this coral about two months. It was better when I first got it but lately it doesn't open as well as it used to. My other hammers are doing fine.
I will try to post a picture when I get home.

It is true that PC's are OK for LPS but 65w in a 24 gallon is really not that much light. Since the branching hammers seem ok I am wondering if the wall hammers need more light than the branching type.

DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
the rule of thumb for reef is 4-8 watts per gallon so you should have 96-192 watts for that tank

Don't want to seem like a **** ... but that rule is old fashioned and serves pretty much no purpose in determining how much light you need over your reef tank. You can't compare 150W of MH to say 156W of T-5. :givebeer:

Also ... a big +1 to what Marrone said. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
No, it does not need more light than a branching hammer.

Make sure the flow is indirect, also you may want to reposition the hammer so that it is at a 45 degree angle instead of pointed directly up. In my opinion, wall hammers do much better when placed a bit on a slant (with the long part facing 45-75 degrees upward, i.e. the one side of the long part on the left and one part on the right). I'll post a photo I have of one that did really well in this position.

mcnuggget

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you already know your wall hammer has a recession problem then no matter how you position that coral will not make a difference.
but then you probably already know that.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
if you already know your wall hammer has a recession problem then no matter how you position that coral will not make a difference.
but then you probably already know that.

Not necessarily true!!! I have a hammer that I thought was completely gone. I took the skeleton out to throw it away when I noticed a tinge of color (so small that I thought I was imagining it), so I broke off the small piece of skeleton that had it. I placed that supposed dead skeleton back in the tank, and a few months later I have a new 4 headed hammer.;) TBTG, cause that is my favorite & first hammer I ever had.:inlove:

Don't give up! Place it where it is not getting direct flow, and as already stated at an angle, keep your water quality going, and you may be pleasantly surprised.:splitspin

Attachments

• Branching Hammer.jpg
    Branching Hammer.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I will give it a week and post back as to how it is doing. I have been thinking of adding more light but so far have not made the move.

I never give up on a coral as long as it has some life to it. I have a favid of some sort for about 3 years. It never grew more heads but it was a decent piece. A few months ago it started receding and is slowly dying. But I am leaving it in since it is still alive. It is all white now and the flesh is barely there but it is still hanging on. So who knows, maybe it will start to regenerate. As long as there is life there is hope.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: