• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
hey guys i just bought a 20 gallon long to replace the rubbermade i have there right now...

:Up_to_som what im looking to do is keep the skimmer area constant water level.. so with that being said im thinking one baffel on the right were the overflow will be dumping in water and either 2 or 3 baffels on the right.. i dont want any bubbles in the tank so should i go with 3 baffels... thanks in advance for your rec... any help is greatly appreciated as always...:grouphug:

also wat sizes should the baffels be height wise... the right and inner left should be the same size and the middle should be a little shorter and the far left should be the same size as the right baffle.. should it be over from the overflow then into the bubble trap over under over... does that seem right

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
Tonyscoots84 said:
thanks guys... im looking to do something really basic that works.... jeash... im about to give up on this....

That's my little buddy, giving up in under one hour from thread initiation to this post! Sheeesh, where'd we come up with this Staten Island experienced reefer from? :duh: You going back to your FW days? :type:

To3kn33, show a little fortitude and perserverance. I'm sure with those links you'll be able to figure it out. Melev's site is quite inspirational. :grouphug:

swimmer

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
thanks master :( lolz if i had patience melevs site would be great for me but no... lolz... heres a pic of wat Jim had rec. this is what im gonna do... everyone think its good..

i really dont no where melev gets his patience from id end up throwing everything out the window... lolz...

Attachments

• sump.bmp
    321.3 KB · Views: 608

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
if you're only going to have a skimmer and heater in one compartment and a return pump in the next you don't need a separate compartment for the overflow. all you have to do is let your drain go in the skimmer compartment and adjust the size for the two compartments to fit yo ur needs....

Attachments

• two compartment sump.bmp
    212.9 KB · Views: 604

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
Jose's diagram is better Tony. Also, make sure you figure out what the water level for your skimmer needs to be to work optimally. That would be the height you set the righthand baffle at. The center baffle you don't want to go to the rim of the sump. Keep it down a few inches. The lefthand baffle you can set to the height you want in your return pump chamber. That baffle does not have to be the same height as the righthand baffle (just lower than it). Remember you want to have room in your sump for backflow in a power outage. So keeping that lower than the righthand baffle is adviseable (besides, if it's higher than the righthand baffle, the water level in your skimmer chamber will rise).

swimmer

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
i gotcha.... wouldnt more baffles eliminate more bubbles... that setup seems easy jose... i might do that...

does anyone no the optimal level that the asm skimmers work good on.. i have my water about 9 inches and it works good....

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Three baffles will be fine for a bubble trap. In the link that I post the guy was running a ASM G1X skimmer and made his baffles 9.5' high. He sperated the baffles abou 1.5" apart from each other but you can make them closer if you want to save space. Also you want to make the compartment where the return pump is going to be large enough so it doesn't run dry that fast, even if you plan on using a ATS.

C

Chiefmcfuz

Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Tony I think in your sketch you have the perfect setup if you were to put a fuge in there.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
The further apart that you can place the baffles between each other, the better it will work to reduce the micro bubbles going back into the tank. Most sumps are limited in length, but if you can do 2" or 2"+ apart, it will be more effective.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I think mine where 10" high, I'm using a 29gal tank so it's higher than a 20gal long. I set the baffles apart 1" as I didn't want to take up additional space. Also I change my mine, after I silcone everything in place, as I decided to put in a larger skimmer and had to rip out some of baffles and readjust them. Even with the smaller spacing I don't get any micro bubbles.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: