• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
This was a great thread for a newbie to read. The link with graphic in #2 explained a ton. I understand much better how my sump is supposed to function!

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Can someone enlighten me why this final design good with the right hand baffle glued to the bottom-i.e water flowing over to the left from the top not from the bottom?

I always thought that the first baffle seperating the skimmer from the return should drain water slowly from the bottom.

BTW how's the final results, Tony. Does it do all the functions you want-bubble trap, power outage back flow ......?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
WingoAgency said:
Can someone enlighten me why this final design good with the right hand baffle glued to the bottom-i.e water flowing over to the left from the top not from the bottom?

I always thought that the first baffle seperating the skimmer from the return should drain water slowly from the bottom.

BTW how's the final results, Tony. Does it do all the functions you want-bubble trap, power outage back flow ......?

Wingo, if the first baffle coming from the skimmer were to be an underflow, controlling the water level in the skimmer compartment would be unbelievably difficult, if not impossible.

Having the baffles coming from the skimmer as over>under>over allows you to set the first baffle at the exact height you need for the water level to remain constant in your skimmer compartment. Optimal efficiency for the skimmer.

hth,
swimmer

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
masterswimmer said:
Wingo, if the first baffle coming from the skimmer were to be an underflow, controlling the water level in the skimmer compartment would be unbelievably difficult, if not impossible.

Having the baffles coming from the skimmer as over>under>over allows you to set the first baffle at the exact height you need for the water level to remain constant in your skimmer compartment. Optimal efficiency for the skimmer.

hth,
swimmer

Hmm, in that case, if I were to change to another skimmer, I should redo the baffle height again, right.
Does that also implys that buying a sump from some one else may not work very well if not using the same skimmer? Guest that leave me no room but DIY my own. Was thinking to one get 20G long for like $25 instead making my own.

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
Getting a sump from someone else can work also. As long as the other person builds it with the same design over>under>over. As for the height of the baffles, a lot of generic sump designs use a little taller baffle for the first one. Then you can 'block' underneath the skimmer to raise it to the optimal operating height.

R

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
masterswimmer said:
Getting a sump from someone else can work also. As long as the other person builds it with the same design over>under>over. As for the height of the baffles, a lot of generic sump designs use a little taller baffle for the first one. Then you can 'block' underneath the skimmer to raise it to the optimal operating height.

R
i c

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: