• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
The top offing he doing now, once or twice a day, is not with the new sump. The compartment looks big enough, plus it's high, to handle enough water so he should only have to top off once a day or once every other day. If you got a dosing dump or a ATO system he would be fine.

He needs to put this unit in place and see if he's going to have problems with overflowing and how much he will need to top off before he makes any changes, if he even needs to make changes.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
347   0   0
I'm gonna go with Mike on this one. My sump was set up identical to this one. Dean has it now, never had any problems with overflowing. I think my return section might even be smaller than that if memory serves me right. Even when i turned off the return pump I didn't run into trouble.

EDIT DAMN T YOU USED A LOT OF SILICONE LOL

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
nanoreefer22 said:
Dean has it now, never had any problems with overflowing. I think my return section might even be smaller than that if memory serves me right. Even when i turned off the return pump I didn't run into trouble.

Yes I do have it. :splitspin It works great for my application. I have two fans on the sump and probably wouldn't need to top off for a day or 2. But I have an ATO.

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
i still don't see why not make the return section bigger, except if the skimmer is so big that it requires all that room. tony the skimmer doesn't need any extra room to do its thing. the reaction chamber is all the room it needs.a filter sock and heater should only take up a small area in one of the corners. i'd still go with a bigger return area....being that its all done i would test it out, like everyone else suggested, and if it works i'd leave it alone. you definitely have to test it though.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
joseney21 said:
i still don't see why not make the return section bigger, except if the skimmer is so big that it requires all that room. tony the skimmer doesn't need any extra room to do its thing. the reaction chamber is all the room it needs.a filter sock and heater should only take up a small area in one of the corners. i'd still go with a bigger return area....being that its all done i would test it out, like everyone else suggested, and if it works i'd leave it alone. you definitely have to test it though.

I wholeheartedly agree Jose`.

swimmer

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Looking at the tank it seems the setup is as following:

Return compartment:8 1/2"
Baffles:4"-5"
Skimmer/other:16 1/2"

With the tank being 30" long. The skimmer will take up about 8"-10", which leave about 5"-6" for the heater, overflow pipe from the tank and other things. The extra space is probably a good thing as if you want to take the skimmer out and it's tight you can easily break one of the baffles. The return compartment is big enough to handle one to day days without being topped off, specially with the height of the baffles.

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
okay, maybe you dont have to test it to get the idea, lets try this

how far down does the water go in your main before the siphon breaks??
using this calculator fill in the #s. tank width and length, height being the answer to the above question. this is what i did to figure out ~ how much room you have in your sump. see if it all adds up.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
:grouphug: :type: :lol: :Up_to_som ok guys, mr. jose i took everything out and i posted the pic below to show ya thats the way im going to have it wanna make sure before i do it, its going to be ok... skimmer chamber is 13 1/2" and return chamber will be 12 1/2" with a 7" baffle on both sides to allow my self some flexibility in case the pump fails middle baffle is 9 inch.. nothing is siliconed yet so thats why the middle baffle is down but it will be up to allow for the over under over flow.. .. the baffles are going to spaced 1 1/2" apart... hows this looking.... let me no as soon as possible guys so i can silicone it and let it start drying....

Attachments

• sump1.jpg
    sump1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 280
  • sump3.jpg
    sump3.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 281
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
yea i could of marrone but i would rather install it and not have to take it back out and waste even more time... looking at it now its better with more water in the return compartment and i could do it alot neater... and i also made the baffles a lil smaller...

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
347   0   0
T,
I think you made a mistake by redoing it. It was perfectly fine the first time. Now if you want the make the skimmer recirc I dont think you could it in any side of the sump. I had 24inches on one side of the sump I believe and like 4 for the return compartment, never failed. Dean can verify/correct the numbers.

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
was it enough room to handle the siphon for your tank kris, in case of a power outage??tonys tank is also slightly bigger....i don't see why a skimmer with a recirc mod wouldn't fit in a sump if it fit before the mod, all you need is to plumb the intake with an elbow right??

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
347   0   0
joseney21 said:
was it enough room to handle the siphon for your tank kris, in case of a power outage??tonys tank is also slightly bigger....i don't see why a skimmer with a recirc mod wouldn't fit in a sump if it fit before the mod, all you need is to plumb the intake with an elbow right??

Yea my sump was fine with power outages. With the recirc mod the foot print of the skimmer is enlarged by a good few inches. The gate valve probably doesnt add much.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
joseney21 said:

the skimmer and recirc. mod when i do it will fit no prob..... and also kris something else u prob. didnt realize is that is my tank is not reef ready so it will take down more water then urs i think... but wateva the case maybe u guys have officially drove tony up the wall.... lmao i appreciate all the help guys... keep it comming.. lolz

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Actually with the tank not being reef ready you can easily adjust the over flow box so if the pump does go off only so much water will flow back into the sump from the tank. My tank isn't reef ready and I use a over flow box and have a similar setup to what you have your sump was and I never had a problem with flooding.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: