• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
that would mean one thing... having a pump in ur display to pump water up to the sump up top.... correct me if im wrong... extra equipment in ur tank that is not needed. thats if of course u went with an internal pump......

would prob. look cool if you had both display and sump showing with everything else enclosed. something like it being in ur hood..

Last edited:

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I've seen this done already on RC, but I wouldn't even know where or who's tank it was. It looked very cool, but you need to be careful with the weight distribution.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I thought that refugiums were placed on top sometimes to prevent the need to pump the water to the main tank- keeping the pods, etc. from getting killed in any pumps...

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Reefer420 said:
I thought that refugiums were placed on top sometimes to prevent the need to pump the water to the main tank- keeping the pods, etc. from getting killed in any pumps...

A sump serves a different purpose than a refugium.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Deanos said:
A sump serves a different purpose than a refugium.

I know that..

Just stating a benefit that having a sump w/ a fuge on top of the tank could have...

Though you wouldn't get the 'flow' that having the water pumped back up into a tank brings...

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Definition of "Sump" on dictionary.com

sump ([FONT=verdana, sans-serif] P
) Pronunciation Key (s
ubreve.gif
mp)
n.
    1. <LI type=a>A low-lying place, such as a pit, that receives drainage.
    2. A cesspool.
  1. A hole at the lowest point of a mine shaft into which water is drained in order to be pumped out.
  2. The crankcase or oil reservoir of an internal-combustion engine.
Additional water vassal above the main tank would not work as an "sump". How is the "sump" going to accommodate the daily evaporations when water level in it will be maintained consistent by the tank which would be lower?

The disadvantage will be it will be render as useless..
[/FONT]

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Like Cali says, how would you deal with water evaporation? In essence, the display tank becomes your sump.

My next question: How do you deal with a power outage? Where's all that water going?

Steven

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
TimberTDI said:
Like Cali says, how would you deal with water evaporation? In essence, the display tank becomes your sump.

My next question: How do you deal with a power outage? Where's all that water going?

Steven
I have not thought about the water evaporation thing yet.

The power outage has no issue in my design tested with a simple DIY overflow box(made with 2 cups and a bottle-for testing of the theory only).

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Above tank sump=bubbles in the display. big ones. I'm sure it can be done, and as reefers do, they tend to make due with what they have. I guess just go with a low GPH pump, like they do with above tank fuges.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
TimberTDI said:
Yes, but did you run your test with the power coming back on? Will the over flow still siphon?

Steven

I did the test 4 five times power down, power up, power down again and then power up again.

Of course it still siphons-that's what the the two cups and a bottle for. Just like common over box which keeps the water in the U tube. If you are going to Jhale's party. I can show you with two cups, a cut up coke bottle and borrow a U tube from his tank. Of course, I can draw it out as well if practical demonstration is not practical.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
chris288 said:
Above tank sump=bubbles in the display. big ones. I'm sure it can be done, and as reefers do, they tend to make due with what they have. I guess just go with a low GPH pump, like they do with above tank fuges.

Hmm interesting. I need to run the test with a skimmer. RIght now, don;t have enough head room to put a skimmer there.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: