ravi197699

Thruster
Vendor
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
Hi M/R I was in the market for buying magnifier coral viewer to view my corals from the front of my tank since I have no room to view from top of the tank due to plumbing and mesh cover. But I really can't afford the price right now and started looking for another cheaper way to do it. So I decided to go this route, I bought 2 large ferrite/ceramic magnets size I got is little larger since It was an experiment only. So size of my magnets are 8" OD and 5"ID they came as pair and I bought 5" diameter magnifier. Velcro stripes for the magnets. So I glued the magnifier on the once of the Magnets and then added Velcro soft side on the outer magnet that is going to stay on the outside and rough Velcro on the other side of the magnet where I have mounted the magnifier and then put them in the tank and I have perfect magnifier. They clean the glass and I can view my fishes and corals at the same time. I agree its extra large due to large magnets but in near future I will sell this one and make my self the smaller version. List of parts that I bought with cost are below.

Pair (2) of ferrite/ceramic Magnet Rings - Ebay - 15.00 Shipped

5"Magnifying Glasss with Plastic ring - Ebay - 5.99 Shipped

1 Cyanoacrylate Super Glue - 1.00 Local Store

Velcro Self Adhesive 1" Strips - 4.00 - Lowes

Time - 1/2 hour - Put everything togather

Total Cost - 25.99

Attachments

• 20130407_091713.jpg
    20130407_091713.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,056
  • 20130407_091720.jpg
    20130407_091720.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,113

ravi197699

Thruster
Vendor
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
exactly I have provided link for marinedepot selling one for 70 bucks and this is ceramic magnet I am not sure what is the harm in the form this being in saltwater but if its an issue I can paint this and seal it with either black or clear coat. but this works great I love this. I am going to order more magnets smaller sizes to make my frag racks and other stuff to hang in the tank.

ravi197699

Thruster
Vendor
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
I love the way its working, I can see my corals a lot better. Next project is frag rack that that will not go on the side of the tank it will be low profile rack that will sit right front of the rock work and will stay in place with magnets on the base of the glass, will post pics with I am done with that.

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
The inside magnet is fully exposed to the water??? That could be a problem...

I know this is an old thread but ill post my comment anyway...ceramic magnets are reefsafe..think about every pump that everyone uses in this hobby..they all have ceramic magnets as shafts on the impellers.if ceramic magnets wherent reefsafe then this would have been a serious issue years ago..nice job on the porthole !!

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
oh boy
shafts are ceramic
magnets are magnets
not sure if the magnets used in pumps are coated in anything but now that I think about it, if they are not, then I have been worrying for no reason, could have made my own solid frag racks a long time ago

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I didn't state anything was ceramic or not. The poster said the shafts were magnetic. He meant the magnets that were around the shaft the make the impeller spin. This was based on the question regarding the the magnets being reef safe or not. So what do you need to have a reef safe magnet? So how bout we stay on topic and not nitpick on wording?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: