• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
the biggest concern w/ keeping octopus is having a tight lid so the octopus doesn't escape. an octopus can escape through any hole that it's beak would fit thru and if your talking about a small octopus that is a small beak.

have you decided on the type of octopus you plan to get or if they are readily available in your area?

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
theres an old issue of coral magazine that gives some good plans for building a octopus aquarium. I may have one in my shop not sure but look online the cover has an octopus on it.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Before you do anything I suggest joining and reading the information on this website: http://www.tonmo.com/.

I have a plan for a small Octopus and I'll post it for those who are interested in an above tank refugium too. I am at work so no pics until later but I'll tell you what I did.

Items used:

12 gallon Eclipse acrylic tank (a little pricy but ideal): http://www.marineland.com/products/consumer/con_systems.asp

Rationale: The Eclipse system comes with its own cover that almost completely eliminates any chance of escape. It also has a built in biowheel, which for me, was an additional way of keeping the water pristine in the refuge. Remember, Octos love crabs (eat a lot!) and will leave pieces of them all over the tank. This needs to be cleaned up. The built in eclipse filter can help. Also, an Octo usually doesn’t like a lot of light. The eclipse lighting is perfect.

Metal Brackets (2):
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1349106847.1155219290@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccckaddiifddgihcgelceffdfgidgin.0&CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc/searchResults.jsp&MID=9876&N=2984+3966&pos=n24

Rationale: Water is about 4lbs a gallon (I think). Therefore 12 gallons = 48 pounds. These brackets are strong! I also wanted to use the water from my reef tank, as an Octopus is only happy with the same water conditions as a reef. Another reason is if an Octo inks in the tank it can suffocate (especially in a small closed system). I used my 120-gallon (plus sump) to give time for the ink to be filtered from the water (in case I wasn’t home to do a water change).

Screws & Anchors:
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1585826631.1155217329@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgeaddiifdfiefcgelceffdfgidgim.0&CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc/searchResults.jsp&MID=9876&N=2984+4078&pos=n23

Rationale: I have cement walls. It is best to drill directly into a beam for maximum support.

Drill bit (Hole Saw):

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1349106847.1155219290@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccckaddiifddgihcgelceffdfgidgin.0&CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc/searchResults.jsp&MID=9876&N=2984+3966&pos=n24

Rationale: There is probably other ways to do this but I wanted to create and over flow large enough to handle the incoming water.

PVC Piping

Rationale: Self explanatory

Aquaclear 5000 (or equivalent) Power head & Appropriate Tubing

Rationale: You’ll need a powerful enough power head to get the water from the main tank to the Octo tank. I went a little more powerful than that because I wanted to create a flow to prevent detritus from settling in the tank and hopefully being sucked into the Eclipse filter system or out the over flow.

Mesh Screen (NO METAL!): This will cover the over flow. I used a rubber band and a carbon media bag. There is better ways to do this as well. Just make sure the Octo can’t get out.

Rationale: I didn’t want the Octo to be able to leave the tank and get eaten by my shark! Remember though, you will need to change or clean the mesh often as some detritus gets caught in it.

Details:

Step 1: I drilled a hole in the Eclipse tank about an inch or so from the top. Make sure you are careful not to crack your tank. Take it slow and steady. I have done this several times with an Eclipse tank and never had one crack. Keeping the hole an inch or so from the top was important, as it was one hurdle in the “Octo escape” plan. After drilling the hole, I then used a PVC connection as a bulkhead.

Step 2: Hang the brackets and make sure they are level. Also make sure you hang the brackets in a position you are comfortable with and can have the over flow PVC piping run back into the main tank or sump. I ran mine back into the tank to create additional water disturbance in the reef.

Step 3: Put the tank on the brackets. Make sure you are happy with the positioning.

Step 4: I then ran tubing from the Eclipse tank into the main tank where the power head will be. There is a small square hole in the Eclipse cover to accommodate the hosing. You will need to find a way to cover the open space between the tubing and Eclipse cover. I used foam to prevent the Octo escape. I was lucky that my pygmy never would leave the water far enough to get up there. Part of that was creating a happy environment (I guess).

Step 5: Connect the power head to the tubing and make sure everything is secure before running the pump. I ended up moving the water supply to face straight down on a rock in the bottom left corner, which helped suspend any detritus into the water column and into the Eclipse filter or out the overflow.

Step 6: Run the power head and make sure the overflow is working so you don’t literally “overflow” the tank. I also made sure that the water supply tubing was only about an inch or two into the water. This is because I didn’t use a check valve on the power head. In case electricity goes out, only a little bit of water will return through the power head and it will not be enough to make the main tank overflow.

I probably left out some details but I will be happy to answer any questions. My pygmy lived a long (for my Octo – 1 yr and two months) and happy life in his tank. As far as the in-tank setup, I refer you to the website I mentioned in the beginning for ideas. As someone mentioned, make sure you are fully schooled on Octopus care and species before you make a purchase. Also, don’t buy just any Octopus because of availability at a LFS.

Disclaimer: I wouldn't hang any tanks bigger than a 12 gallon!

Last edited:

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Here are the pictures I promised. I used tape as another precaution but it is not necessary for the connections. I created another tank for seahorses as well. One runs into the main tank and the other runs to the sump. The first picture is the Octo tank and the third picture is the seahorse tank.

Attachments

• Octopus Tank.jpg
    Octopus Tank.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 269
  • PVC Connection.jpg
    PVC Connection.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 270
  • Seahorse Tank.jpg
    Seahorse Tank.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 270
  • PVC Pipes.jpg
    PVC Pipes.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 266

micko

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of getting a blue ring I saw some plans somewhere were a guy took a globe and made a tank but I can,t find the plans anywhere. thanks for all the feedback man I wish I had come here sooner the people here are great thanks

Savager

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
micko said:
I am thinking of getting a blue ring I saw some plans somewhere were a guy took a globe and made a tank but I can,t find the plans anywhere. thanks for all the feedback man I wish I had come here sooner the people here are great thanks

Are you really sure about keeping a bluering? I think Blue ring octopus has the most dangerous poison. You don't even have a time to call 911 once you get bit by one of this. Even if you get to the hospital, I doubt they can save you. And I don't think you can even find one for sale.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
The Brooklyn Zoo and Aquarium has had an octopus - not a blue ring though I am not sure what it is - for sale for the last couple of weeks. They are on Ralph Ave bet. M and N in Brooklyn ( duh ) if you are interested.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Micko, I really hope you reconsider getting the blue ring.
It's 'effing stupid crazy IMO, especially if you have kids and pets around.

Last edited:

micko

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea I know but I think they are really beautiful I have had experience working with numerous venomous animals I have no kids just animals like the one in my avatar (buy the way thats not a dog he is 7 months old now and ways about 135 pounds) thats why I am looking at several different tanks hopefully will find one with a complete closed system so all I have to do is turn some valves to change water ETC

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: